Sunday, June 5, 2011

Hope Grows for Fruit and Tropical Blossoms

Time for Hope Grows seems to come 'round quickly in hot weather. Last month I was hoping for ripe fruit in June. Blueberries are ripe on three bushes; two are later but loaded with berries.

Blueberries in my shadow, LOL.
We've already enjoyed Blueberry Crisp and Blueberry Cake.

My okra patch with grapes and blueberries in the distance.
I'm hopeful of okra to fry or at least enough to add to soup this month.

Two of the pups from my neighbor's cycad have put out tentative leaves.
I hope this means there are roots forming rather than a last struggle to survive.

Red Hot Poker Kniphofia has begun bloom.

Pride of Barbados Caesalpinia pulcherrima has buds.
I can hardly wait for the yellow and red blossoms on these.

The first Esperanza Tecoma stans blossoms.
My tropicals die back to the ground every winter so they are behind
Florida and South Texas gardens. I am as excited when the first sprouts show
as when the buds form because I know they've survived another winter.
Fiesta!
Hope Grows
is a meme sponsored by Hanni of Sweet Bean Gardening.

Do join Hanni for Hope Grows links and link your Hope Grows post.








15 comments:

  1. Thank you for joining in again Nell Jean! You have such luscious things to look forward to...and I am going to have to go off and google what a cycad is. :) Obviously it's something that does not grow up here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never gave a thought before as to how okra grows - what peculiar looking plants. I don't suppose we have the right weather here to even try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures. I am curious whether the Tecoma Stans I planted will do OK here in SC. It looks happy enough now, but...

    Does it die all the way to the ground each year, or will it remain a small tree? How can I help it survive the winter?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post. You've listed things I've never seen before, like cycad, and I've never tried growing okra. Everything looks really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My okra is much younger than yours, but I, too, am looking forward to having some okra later this summer. Your blooms look great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Nell ~ Your earth looks so wonderful, it's no wonder that you have such bountiful crops and blooms.

    Happy gardening, harvesting and eating,

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nell I love the okra with the blueberries in the background...we love okra up N here but have never grown it...I will have to check into it next yr...better start planning a new raised bed for next yrs garden here...

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're making me hungry for blueberry crisp! You will have more okra than you will know what to do with!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Things look very promising.

    We are having a very strange fruit/lack of year here. Most trees didn't even bloom or were very few.
    I few apples are growing, no apricots, very few cherries, blackberries and raspberries look promising. One blueberry bush survived, but barely and has a handful of fruit. I may give up on them.

    I just planted okra....will be a long wait.

    Love the new picture size.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything is looking wonderful from veggies to flowers. It's so nice to reap the benefits of all your hard work...isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your garden is ahead of mine. I am still waiting for the fruit to ripen. Getting close but blueberry pie sounds scrumptious! So envious tropicals are perennial for you! What a difference a few hours south makes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a full bush of blueberries!! Our neighbor just planted a few, they have been sitting in containers since early spring. I love blueberries!....okra? not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Nell Jean,

    I read your comment on Flower Lady's blog about the fact that you used to read my writing in Country Living GARDENER and that now I'm "one of us." I was ALWAYS "one of us." We gardeners are a team.

    All joys,

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  14. It seems like i am looking at our backyard when looking in yours, hahaha! But your Caesalpinia is so vigorous, looks like it suits a colder climate than ours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't grow blueberries here. I only see them in my fridge or in my fave blueberry cheesecake!

    I think the cycad is a very fascinating prehistoric plant. Yours look promising because I see shoots coming out of it. The yellow bells looks very sweet.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers