Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Oxblood Lily, Schoolhouse Lily

Oxblood Lily (Rhodophiala bifida) bloomed after the rain.

Verbena on a stick self planted; carefully planted chartreuse alternanthera and Oxblood lilies.


Last fall I noticed that my single clump had multiplied.

I divided them this spring and spread them around.
I decided to let dichondra grow as ground cover
rather than fight it all summer.

After a good rain, they literally come out of the ground blooming.


New starts of Purple Heart in the mix.



Oxblood Lilies with my fav Chartreuse, Purple Heart and Verbena bonariensis under a Crape Myrtle.

Secrets of a Seedscatterer         

11 comments:

  1. Those are really nice lilies Nell. I don't think I've ever seen them down here.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Nell Jean, Your last pictures displays a lovely combination! It doesn't get any better than this. P. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, they're beautiful! I've heard of these, but I'm not certain I've ever seen any. I'll have to be on the look out for them now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these lilies, and like how they are mixed in. I have so many interesting lilies, that I might add some of these to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors of those lilies, mine is red-orange with fewer flowers in one stem. But they also bloom after the first heavy rains after the dry season. I hope to get them also in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it when the lilies multiply!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are pretty. I wonder if they would grow down here. You've got some nice large rocks on your property. Were they there or did you bring them in? They look very natural in their placement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My understanding is that Oxblood lilies are hardy in the warm zones all the way to zone 11.

    The rocks were dug by bulldozer elsewhere on the place and brought in with a front-end loader, then topsoil and compost added by loader-loads to give them this look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful oxbloods, Nell. Do you feed them anything?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wasn't familiar with them; now I know why I am zone 6!

    I love the 'landscaped' rocks. The oxbloods look great scattered here and there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a vibrant pop of red color in the garden!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers