Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Gingerbread Houses for Decoration or Gifts

A tradition for many years, Gingerbread Houses were one of the most pleasurable crafts I ever made. Baked of a stiff ginger cookie dough and assembled with hot melted sugar as the glue, the fun part was the decoration.

 Snow was a mixture of confectioners' sugar, egg white and vinegar in a combination that hardened.
Candy raindeer waited below for the Santa on the roof . The chimney was made of nougat.

Each house sat on a foil covered cardboard.
Sometimes I spread a thin layer of frosting and sprinkled it with powdered sugar.

This batch had a peppermint stick as the roof ridgepole.

  These from the year I got brave and made twenty.

Notice the red candy bell above the door.


Necco wafers sided this house.
The doorknobs were redhots as were the berries on the wreaths.

Every year I tried some different candies but always looked for candy Santas.
Green gumdrops make good shrubbery for a gingerbread house.

One year I decided to build a really big house.
As I assembled it the roof caved in. I wailed.
My husband said, "Well, it was a learning experience."


Eventually I was too busy to build houses at Christmas.
Now that I have time, maybe I should start again.
I wonder if candy Santas are still available?



Secrets of a Seedscatterer      

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful that you have photos of your lovely gingerbread houses. I used to make a really large one but have only memories. I was home with three boys at the time. We shall be heading out with the grandchildren to see the gingerbread houses at a local hotel this weekend. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking about sending a kit to my sister and her 4 girls. I bet they would have fun. Your post motivated me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Nell I am impressed with all of your lovely gingerbread house creations. What a disappointment that the large one's roof caved in, I would have wailed too and my DH would have said the same thing yours did. It's a learning experience.

    Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    Love and hugs ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! that took a lot of patience and skill...needless to say, I never made one in my life...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I am impressed, Nell! What wonderful pictures! I have never made a gingerbread house, except for the one that looked like a gingerbread house but was really cross stitched.

    I may have to try to make one this year. I have been making birdhouses from clay, wonder if I could make a pottery gingerbread house?

    Yes, candy Santas are still available. You are very inventive with the candy. I would have never thought of green gumdrops for shrubbery.

    Did you ever eat one of your houses?

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers