Thursday, November 10, 2011

Veterans Day Is Time to Plant Poppies

Seeing the little red paper poppies on Veterans Day is a good reminder that Poppies as well as other early spring annuals can be planted in November.
Papaver rhoeas, Corn Poppy
A reminder of the blood shed for Freedom.

"Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields." - Major John McCrae

November-scattered seeds know when to sprout. In our climate they may start to make growth soon. In colder climates, poppy seeds can even be thrown out over the snow where you want them to grow.


If red or pink poppies are not to your liking, you might use California Poppies along with some Larkspur.

In case you don't remember how various annual seedlings look in early spring, I made a
some years back showing young sprouts in order to distuguish them from weeds.

Here's a look at 2009 poppies:



I was just out in the cold wind looking to see what might still be blooming by Bloom Day.
I should have been in the house going through saved seeds and deciding what to scatter where.
While I was out there I discovered a new color of Viola that had not bloomed before.

In addition to blue-purples we have red-purples.

Violas might like a bit of fertilizer on
and a sprinkle of pink poppy seeds along the edges.

If you have some seeds tucked away to scatter, it is time.
After you scatter them, go look at the links at Tootsie's page.


Secrets of a Seedscatterer       

11 comments:

  1. Your poppies are really beautiful! I enjoyed seeing them today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been reading poppies all the time, is this the same as the opium poppies? Once here even the seeds sprinkled on breads were not allowed, controlled. But the flowers are so beautiful which i haven't seen in person. It doesn't grow in the tropics. The violas are my favorites too, but i have seen them in my few foreign travels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to try some poppies in the back parking area where my neighbors (who are renters) park! I sure do hope they grow and cover up some of that eyesore, at least for a little while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The poppies seen on Remembrance Day are Papaver rhoeas, commonly called Corn Poppy. They contain no opium. Opium Poppies are Papaver somniferum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be scattering more poppy seeds today...love your pansies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I need to scatter some poppy seeds. They will be a welcome site next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not know that you could scatter poppy seeds this time of year. I will keep that in mind as they are a favorite of mine. Wishing you a great weekend! Cheers, Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  8. The color on your violas is gorgeous. I did not know you could throw poppies on the snow and that they would survive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought all poppies are same as those for opium :) and I didn't know poppy seeds thrown in the snow can spout! Now I wonder if a poppy plant can ever be grown in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, thanks for the reminder! I think it might be a little late in my cooler climate, but I think I will scatter a few seeds anyway!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers