Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Camellias at Christmas

Last year it was cold at Christmas and Camellias didn't venture many blooms. This week has been warm and damp and they've shown their prettiest faces.

This is the first time I've seen this many blooms on this one.

 
A seedling that I've waited a long time to see bloom.


It isn't a very large bush yet.

Five blooms open. More buds to follow.

Formal double; petals so beautifully arranged.
The previous 6 pics are all the same cluster of blossoms
from different views.


These last two are Blood of China, here for many years.
As the weather gets colder, they become more scarlet.
This blossom newly open today.

This one was opening on Monday: you can see the stamens today.

Blood of China


Secrets of a Seedscatterer       

8 comments:

  1. I have been cutting Camellia blooms for the house for at least 3 weeks now and as I was driving through town today it was all I could see. They are prettier this year than I have ever seen .. Love seeing yours. I need to make a trip out to the Coastal gardens and see what's showing off.. hugs Miss Nell Jean hope you have a wonderful Christmas, Cherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well worth the wait! The flowers are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the peeks at the gorgeous camellias. I am not familiar with 'Blood of China," and find it amazing that the cold changes them to a deeper blood red.

    Thanks for sharing these!

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I am finding that Camellias touch my heart the same way roses do.

    Thank you for sharing these wonderful blooms from your gardens.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting to see your seedling blooming - and it is beautiful! So many petals! The Blood of China is gorgeous, too. Camellias are such wonderful plants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd have to say your seedlings are clearly keepers KUDOs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think camellias have the perfect bloom! Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your camellias are absolutely gorgeous! Such a beautiful color. I need to add camellias to my garden. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers