Thursday, March 29, 2012

I'm Back with a Peek into the Greenhouse

The greenhouse is for hobby use, which up to now has meant flowers. Mama always wanted to put glass on the south end of her front porch so she could hold over numerous potted plants, including a huge Epiphyllum that spent the winter growing shoots that reached to the kitchen ceiling. I'm still growing Epiphyllums, formerly in the laundry room, now in the greenhouse.

Epiphyllum cuttings -- the big plants are already outside.

I always enjoy a peek into the greenhouses of others, so here are looks at mine.

Eggplants -- Little Prince, from Renee's seeds.

Little Prince is a compact grower. I would grow eggplant for the flowers alone; the fruit is a bonus. My plan is to have container grown veggies summer, fall and as far into the winter as I can coax them, under glass. The instructions say one eggplant to a 10 or 12 inch pot, or 8 inches apart in a container at least 16-18 inches across and deep.

Gomphrena and Coreopsis popped right up. Agastache, Salvia farinacea and Gaillardia are slower to appear, maybe the saved seed was not fresh. Baptisia in the center left tray has not shown up. Maybe I should have planted the seed when it was fresh from the dry pod.

At top in above pic: Super Bush Container Tomatoes and Jewel-Toned Bell Peppers in Crimson, Gold and Orange, also from Renee's Seeds have graduated into little pots already.


Parsley and Chives

The trays behind the Parsley have Tecoma stans, Pride of Barbados and purple Datura, all  saved seeds from last year. I don't know why that one Caesalpinia pulcherrima came up so quickly, they are usually slow germinating. I've another that I kept in a pot all winter and I dug a tiny one from last year the other day so I could plow where it was sited. It was just putting on tiny new shoots from the roots. On the shelf above are rooted alternanthera cuttings kept over in water through the winter.  

Parsley will go into flower beds for the nurturing of Black Swallowtail larvae. Dotting them about among nectar plants is convenient for the butterflies and decreases the chance of a single plot where birds can easily feast. Parsley usually takes at least two weeks, coming up. These were under 10 days.

Another look at the pepper plants, labeled by color:
red, orange, yellow. The seeds were color-coded.

It's almost too hot for lettuce here now, they've been moved out to shade. There are some individual pots of these Romaines; they're already looking floppy. These I thought to use for 'cut and come again' salad. So far we've just had lettuce on our hamburgers.  

Pentas
Some Pentas are already planted out. I'm waiting for unlabeled plants to bloom so I can verify the colors. There is already a red Pentas bed in progress. Whites are in the yellow rose bed; rose pink and  Miss Julie's fav medium pink go in Upper garden beds where some from last summer have resprouted. Palest pink is out under a couple of crape myrtles in front. Every time another blooms, it goes to its color group. I've never had such an abundance of Pentas. I think the butterflies will be pleased. Each bed will have a clump or two of Parsley.

Seeds of tomatoes, peppers, eggplant and lettuce were from Renee's Seeds. Other seeds were purchased locally or saved from my garden. Cuttings of Pentas and Alternanthera were saved from the previous summer garden.


Come with me to Tootsie Time to Flaunt Your Flowers on Fertilizer Friday, a fun meme.

13 comments:

  1. So jealous of that greenhouse...look at all those plants sprouting ahead beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have so many plants in your greenhouse! Do you expand your garden every year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many seedlings! And they all look fabulous. You are right about the butterflies - they are going to love all the pentas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your greenhouse looks great! My seed starting is not as advanced as yours. I'm envious of that bunch of parsley too. When I get home I'll have to talk nicely to my seedlings so they'll get moving. Do you plant in the ground, containers, or both?

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many pretty things growing. I can't wait to see everything nice and mature!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your plants are looking very impressive. I wish I had thought of parsley; maybe it isn't too late yet.

    I found baptisia to be very difficult to germinate. I haven't checked to see if my plant came back yet.

    For such a mild winter, I have lost many things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your seedlings are further ahead than mine. I think I need to give my Epi a good hair cut, have one LONG stem that is so out of balance with the rest of the plant. Hate to do anything that would limit those lovely blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything looks so good!!! I love seeing inside greenhouses too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your greenhouse looks fabulous, and very lively! I'm desperately trying to get mine cleared out, as it's choked with plants waiting to be transplanted, when this rain finally stops! Hopefully then, mine will look a little less cluttered, and more organized, like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know exactly what you mean about peeking into everyone elses greenhouses!!! Yours looks awesome!!! mine needs some attention tomorrow...need to finish planting!
    Once again I am just loving the tour of all the gardens that have linked in to my little party! I am so excited to visit each and every post...they are all so inspiring and I am NEVER disappointed! The creative gardens and colorful displays that I am lucky to see are inspirations that I would never have found had I not found each of the gardeners I see online! Thank you so much for sharing your garden with my Friday Flaunt this week...I do hope you will link in again soon!
    This post is being shared on my Tootsie Time Facebook page too just so you are aware.
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your greenhouse looks so great and gives me much home - this is my first year in a greenhouse and I love seeing other what you are doing. Thanks for sharing. Paula in Idaho http://bucketideasforgardening.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed a peek into your greenhouse, and my how well everything is coming on. now that we don't grow on so many annuals I think we will find better use for the greenhouse.I do like the new look of your website.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're certainly putting your greenhouse to excellent use -- so many beautiful young plants! I'm planting parsley for the Black Swallowtails too, since they found it and devoured it last year.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers