Sunday, March 18, 2012

Poppies Can't Wait

Last fall there was a little space where fill was brought when we removed a small concrete pad that was unused. Open spots are tempting when I'm scattering seeds, so I threw a few poppy seeds Papaver somniferum on the bare spot.



It was successful except that the weather is unsuitable for poppies. They came up nicely. Nights near 60 degrees and days in the upper 80s cause them to bloom too soon with blooms shattering the same day. I caught these as they opened, one with the sepals still attached.



By this evenng, they were already shedding petals, which I did not photograph.


California poppies Eschscholzia californica have no buds that I've seen in my garden. They seem to tolerate our heat a little better. Corn poppies Papaver rhoeas made huge bases of leaves but have no stalks of buds so far. I've seen one Larkspur bloom. Blue Toadflax  Linaria canadensis is blooming in rough lawn to the delight of butterflies and benficials.

5 comments:

  1. Ah, the Poppies look great. Flowers generally last longer here than anywhere else in the planet, always holding on and holding on for a little warmth in the sunshine. I am prone to a little exaggeration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you poppies Nell. Wish I could grow them down here.

    Happy spring gardening ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have Blue Toadflax all over my garden, pretty little bloom. None of my poppies came up. I guess the places I scattered the seeds were not the best. I will continue to amend the soil and hope for better results next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love poppies and yours are gorgeous. Love the color. I have a few seeds that came up but I really don't look for them to flower since it is so warm here lately. We are having temps in the low 80's and have been warm all winter long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying poppies in my garden for the first time. Not sure what kind they are - will have to look that up. Thanks for the explanation of each one and how they handle our heat!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers