Thursday, April 26, 2012

One Potato, Two Potato, Three Potato, Four

How many members of family Solanancea, the Potato family, does your Garden boast?

I posted about Daturas and Brugmansias on Dotty Plants Journal, one blooming and one in bud. Additional flowers in this family are Petunias and Nicotiana, also blooming now.

I knew the larger nickel-sized tomato had formed.
The tiny one at bottom was a surprise
I found when i looked at the photo.

More tiny tomatoes 


Eggplants are forming buds. The lavender flowers are
attractive as are the aubergine fruits -- can hardly wait.



Vegetables in the Solanum -- nightshade group -- include Potatoes, Tomatoes and Eggplant. Peppers are Capsicums, also in the Solanum group. My peppers  have tiny buds not yet in bloom.

They've come this far in two months from seed. I've hovered like a mother hen, hefting pots to see if the weight is light, indicating a need for water; moving them outside to catch some rain or bright sunlight; rotating and rearranging them.

I didn't plant potatoes. One of the neighbors who plants 'taters named all the different kinds he has, ready to dig in a few more days. 'Yukon Gold' sounds as if it would be terrific roasted with some Rosemary snipped over it. The other veggie neighbor is bringing me Basil plants in trade for some rooted Rosemary cuttings.

9 comments:

  1. I have a few potatoes in my garden too. The funniest one was a long time ago in my mulch pile I grew quite a crop of potatoes. But when I happily told my Extension officer my good news, he promptly told me they were 'illegal' to be growing them this way because of dreaded potato blight. I ate them anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous that you have tomato fruit already! My tomato seedlings have appeared but have a long way to go. We're also trying to grow potatoes for the first time this year. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your garden progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have three unripe tomatoes on the vine...so excited. I will have to note that particular variety to plant it again next year. I don't have blooms on my peppers yet...good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always learn something from you. I didn't know about petunias and nicotiana. I see some seedling nicotiana but so far no petunias are showing.

    Yukon Gold is a wonderful potato. I like the sound of snipped rosemary on them.

    I planted a few of a Rosegold potato this year, a new one for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea to trade seedlings. I should ask around with my neighbours to see if there's anything they're growing I could trade my zillion tomatoes for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm chuckling as I read this because I served oven roasted Yukon gold potatoes with snipped rosemary and garlic salt for dinner last night.... accompanying a roasted leg of lamb also sprinkled with snipped garlic and rosemary. Delicious. YG's are my favorite potato; Steve prefers red bliss but enjoyed his dinner just the same!

    Loved your post... that was a surprise to me also about the petunias and nicotiana!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seed exchange is a good idea. It's been ages since I last grown a potato or tomato plant. I love the scents of basil and rosemary plants.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the look of the eggplant - I think I'm going to try plant one. Wish I had neighbors that grew things ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, we are a LONG way off from tomatoes here! Mine are just tiny little seedlings in the house. But I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers