Tuesday, April 17, 2012

What Shall I Do with 4 Dozen Graptopetalum?

Ghost Plant Graptopetalum paraguayense is very hardy. I kept mine inside during the winter because I like it. Sometimes squirrels will chew the leaves when the weather is dry and other tasty morsels are scarce.



Every time a leaf got knocked off I dropped it into a flower pot. There were some strange companions but nobody seemed to mind. As the weather warmed I collected all the little rosettes that had formed that I hadn't already put into a broken pot collection with sedums and things.



I put 18 into a seedling flat. The little plants were so cute, I broke off all the big rosettes that had gotten leggy in pots and rooted them as well. What was I thinking?

Graptopetalum paraguayense

Now I have 2 flats of 18, three pots and all those in the broken pot.
What do I do now?


This isn't the only plant I've multiples. Last fall I started out with a two Bromeliads purchased in bloom. When the blooms faded, Vriesea splendens put out a single pup. As the original plant's leaves fade, I trim them off. Nice plant. Neoregelia carolinae also put out a single pup, or so I thought. One day I discovered the baby I'd been admiring had two brothers underneath the leaves on the other side.


Neoregelia carolinae

I've separated two from the main plant and left one that did not want to turn loose easily. They need homes out of reach of the cat, who likes to shred the ends of the leaves -- notice the one bottom right.

Fortunately the Graptopetalum can find homes outside freeing up next fall's greenhouse space. The Bromeliads can stay, or come back inside after summering in a cooler spot than the greenhouse. Everything in the mixed broken pot can winter outside except for the Kalanchoe. It's a winter fav, blooming inside in January and February when everything else is kind of dormant.

Every day I'm planting out a handful of plants into the ground and hoping for rain soon. Like everybody else, we've had a mild winter, early spring and hot weather is moving in here quickly. Daylilies and true lilies are starting to bloom. Roses are blooming. One of the Brugmansias has buds. There has been an early Gardenia blossom. Every year is different.




6 comments:

  1. Hahaha, these types of plants really produce lots of small ones. This is the case also with our succulents. So i don't want them anymore because of their lots of offsprings. And they are very difficult to kill in the tropics. Our discards are now growing under the trees where we throw them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be tempted to make a small something somewhere outside with some of the ghost plant and let Mother Nature do what she does. They grow back just fine after being nibbled on here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Graptopetalum paraguayense is beautiful and I'm sure looks lovely wherever you place it.

    It is always neat to get plants so easily.

    Enjoy ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a green Thumb, nice problem to have. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I kept mine ghost plant in the house this winter, too. They do multiply, but I love them. I am in zone 4 so it would not survive outside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agaves, donkey ears and spider plants are very productive plants in my garden. They keep having babies. Sometimes I too have a headache, thinking what to do with the little ones. You grouping corner is a good idea. As regards to the weather, we are having a rainy season that damaged a lot of my plants, seedlings included.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers