Saturday, May 5, 2012

Blossom End Rot of Tomatoes

What's Wrong with my Tomatoes?

I planted early, I transferred late.
Perhaps it's something that they ate.
The soil was cool, the soil was dry.
I will not scream, I shall not cry.
I'll water more;
I'll give them phosphors.
I'll watch them grow, my garden prospers.
                                                             -nj
He who mows noticed first. "That tomato has a spot," he said.

Blossom End Rot.
There is no cure, just prevention.

The spotty ones, the biggest, have been removed.
I'll keep a closer eye.
You often read that a lack of calcium causes BER.
It's a lack of calcium UPTAKE from the soil, usually
related to not enough water to ensure that calcium gets to
fruit or some other environmental causes like cool soil.
I know the potting soil has lime, because the hydrangea
cuttings I rooted are blooming PINK.


If a lesion starts from the stem end, it might be a virus or
insect damage. Water discoloration on the blossom end turning
into a black spot is BER. Early fruit is more prone, they say.

Maybe the soil was too cool at first. Maybe they got too
dry. Maybe the potting soil lacked something or had too
much of something. I'll water more carefully and give them
some phosphorus-rich fertilizer. This one looks healthy.

Peppers can get BER, too. These are too small to tell, even
if the picture was clearer. I'm excited to see tiny peppers.

I felt like the Andrews brothers looking up little girl's dresses in
the second grade, trying to get a good look at tomato bottoms.

I don't know if Eggplants get blossom rot.
I just wanted you to see the blooms.

That's a tree bloom, not a critter on the leaf.
Eggplants would be worth growing for the
ornamental aspect even if you didn't get fruits.

I looked at Cornell University Extension site for information.
If you want to read about Blossom End Rot at the cellular level here's a link to
with detailed information. That's your lesson for today. Test tomorrow. 



3 comments:

  1. Your plants are so vigorous that even just the vegetative parts are so inspiring. I remember once when my sister's manager in a fruit processing plant asked me to assess if their truckloads of tomatoes should be thrown out because of some incidence or blossom-end rot.They thought it is caused by bacteria. I saved them lots of expense cause i said it is physiological caused by lack of calcium. Actually, it is also the balance of other cations in the soil which hinders its absorption, if pH and moisture is right, maybe too much N addition also is a culprit. It is so disappointing to gardeners when very healthy-looking plants like yours 0roduce unsightly and discards because of BER. Happy gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nell, tomatoes have so darned many problems that can occur, you may be educating us a lot more as the season progresses!

    All your plants look extremely healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adding a few Tums to the planting hole will help with the calcium uptake problems. It truly works wonders! Your plants are so healthy they look like they'll bounce back.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers