Saturday, May 12, 2012

It's a Zoo with Tigers and Zebras

Tiger Swallowtail and Zebra Swallowtail butterflies have come to my garden along with Buckeyes, American Painted Ladies, Dogface Sulphurs and Variegated Fritillaries. Numerous little skippers and moths are here too.

Tiger Swallowtail on Echinacea

Zebra Swallowtail on Lantana

Asimina augustifolia Slimleaf Paw Paw
Host plant for Zebra Swallowtails. This one is
next to a large swath of yellow Lantana. Handy!

Spicebush Swallowtail on Pentas
I am seeing both Pipevine and Spicebush
Swallowtails, often nectaring on the same plants.


Variegated Fritillary at left. An unidentified moth  and a dark Swallowtail at right.

Echinacea is very popular when it first blooms.














Dogface Sulphur. It is nearly impossible to catch them in flight with
open wings. I'm grateful to get a good look at them nectaring.

American Painted Lady


 Another look at a Zebra.

Spicebush Swallowtail at center, Pipevine Swallowtail at upper right, both nectaring on
Lantana montevidensis, equally popular with yellow Lantana and Echinacea.
Notice there are still yellow Violas blooming. I tucked chartreuse Alternanthera in with them because
Violas will soon wither away in the heat here.  

What I haven't seen yet is Black Swallowtails. I have parsley plants tucked in many of the nectar beds, ready for their arrival to lay eggs.

What butterflies are you seeing? What have you planted to entice them?

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I loved seeing your butterflies! I have not seen any zebras here, and my lantana hasn't started blooming yet. Here, I've been most excited about seeing several hummingbird clearwing moths.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the beautiful tour of your "Zoo". Beautiful is all that I can say! Happy Gardening! Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful photos Nell. You have a fantastic variety of butterflies.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're getting butterflies. I've seen a few, but it's been so cool in May that the numbers aren't as many as I'd usually see. Hope they'll be along.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dotty,

    Wow your garden is hopping! I was working in Chapel Hill on Friday saw a tiny Harvester butterfly land on a limb close to me, these are hard to find. Really enkoyed the photos and reading, thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Nell, I just love to see your butterflies! Between the butterflies and hummingbirds, it's my favorite part of gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen quite a few large butterflies already this year, which is exciting. I've seen various swallowtails as well as admirals and little butterflies that move too quickly for me to identify. I have about a dozen swallowtail caterpillars in my fennel. :o)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers