Thursday, May 24, 2012

What Is a Laneway?

First noticed on Pinterest, on a pin that I can't find now was something called a Laneway. When I saw it, I thought, 'Oh, we have one of those!' From what I can determine, a Laneway is what we call an alley, or a field road. The one pictured on Pinterest had two narrow ruts the way our field roads and lanes look.


Most of the pictures of Laneways that I found were from Australia. Other parts of the world show something called 'Laneway housing' which I never quite understood how the term applied.






A Laneway adds another element to a garden
composition.
 We never set out to 'build' a Laneway. It evolves from the path that machinery takes going to and from the field. Curves follow the corners of a field.


Laneway tracks in this part of the country are packed sand. Grass grows
between the ruts formed by big tractor tires. I never gave much thought to
field roads until someone on Pinterest considered it desirable to add.

What are Laneways called in your part of the World?




5 comments:

  1. that strip in the centre, where the wildflowers grow, is called a middelmannetjie in Afrikaans. Our driveway is 2 narrow tracks of gravel. Wild grass which has to be hacked back when too high for cars. I have lots of cuttings of purple daisies, now blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We call that a Carolina driveway! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea there was a formal name for it, other than a dirt road. We have one here that leads from the main driveway out to the orchard, as we drive the tractor through that area quite often. I wouldn't have thought anyone wanted one on purpose. I do like it though, as the weeds and wildflowers there seem to attract the bees and butterflies. I just don't like driving on it in winter, as our soils get quite soft.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have just found a picture for you, from the Kirstenbosch Chelsea exhibit.
    http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/576505_339751766095264_159115774158865_9986820_2039210671_n.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we just call them the muddy drive. Often they lead to quite a grand house and the ruts are so deep your car really is in danger of grounding.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers