Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Trumpets of all kinds

Seventy-six trombones caught the morning sun
With a hundred and ten cornets right behind
There were more than a thousand reeds
Springing up like weeds
There were horns of ev'ry shape and kind.
-- from the musical The Music Man

Angel Trumpets Brugmansia

Devil's Trumpets Datura Metel
No yellows plamted this year.
Datura Inoxia

Angel trumpets face downward, toward the earth. Devil's trumpets turn upward.
All have a sweet nocturnal fragrance to attract night-time pollinators.
The foliage and stems have an acrid smell with undertones of peanut butter.


Hope your Fourth of July is bodaciously fun.




8 comments:

  1. I love those brugmansia and datura blooms -- and I always enjoy your use of lyrics (in this case, a wonderful bit of synchronicity, since I found myself singing songs from The Music Man earlier today). Happy Independence Day. -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. That violet devil is so beautiful. I have long been exchanging angels with devils, i often forget that. I wonder who named those trumpets with those names, but it seems logical, angel looks at the earth while the devil looks at heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! It only recently warmed up enough here to set my brugs outside. So far, lots of leaves, but no flowers. I'm hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please save me some seed from that purple double... Maybe I could trade you some poppies r somethin.

    I useta grow those, but getting the seeds to grow has always been hit or miss for me. They produce tons of seed, it shouldn't be such a big deal to keep them going.

    2 of my gardens have been producing brug blooms, while the others? nada.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should check my datura as I moved it out of the garden, too many seedlings every year. My Brug has been putting on a show for a month or more, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...these are amazing blooms. I enjoyed your lighthearted musical instrument association and accompaniment, too;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, everybody. There will be plenty of seeds when I stop snipping off the blooms to force more buds. Brugs are slow to get going until the weather warms; my better bloomers spent the winter inside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely, lovely, and I can't wait till mine blooms! I finally have an Angel's Trumpet plant outside, and despite a run in with spider mites, it is now healthy and strong. I'll keep watching for signs of blooms!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers