Saturday, August 25, 2012

Tropical Storms Bring Hurricane Flowers

More agapanthus are blooming, I noticed buds of red spider lilies Lycoris radiata are showing up. I could hardly wait to show the second blooms of Sternbergia and Rhodophiala.

Sternbergia lutea or Fall Crocus, sent me from Texas by Barbara Nason.
They were overtaken by yellow Lantana and moved two years ago.
They are now beside the walk to the mailbox so I can see them better. 


Fall can bring as many pretty blossoms from bulbs as Spring, but they're not as popular for some reason. Maybe because bulbs in spring follow a rather bleak winter. Summer flowers are still in bloom when the fall bulbs suddenly appear.

Rhodophiala bifida, Schoolhouse lily, also a Texas bulb, sent by Janie Varley.
 
These multiplied and I divided them two years ago an spread them around.
These are only the second bloom of each of these to emerge this year.
 
I'm waiting for Lycoris squamigera and Lycoris radiata to bloom. They may be waiting for the hurricane to bring lots more water -- they had 0.8 inch of rain yesterday. The Lycorises are sometimes called 'Hurricane Lilies' because they bloom in late August and early September, usually just after remnants of a tropical storm drops drenching rain on us. 
 
If the hurricane stays on track, winds and rain of Isaac may reach us by Tuesday.
 

7 comments:

  1. How much fun to see these!! Need to check on some of mine....be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Lycoris radiata and Rodophiala bifida seeds/bulblets sent by a blogger friend from Illinois, and they have been growing continuously without loss of leaves for almost 2 yrs now. I wonder how long will they be able to give us flowers. They are not available here so I am very curious about them. I just searched the net on how they look like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are lovely. The Fall Crocus is a ray of sunshine, and that Rhodophiala is wonderful.

    I hope Issac doesn't do much else but drop lots of lovely rain for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! The Rodophiala bifida is completely new to me but I will have to look into it since I have been laying a red border at my parents' place that could use some fall-flowering bulbs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. good luck with the weather - don't blow away. The predictions show the heavy rain heading for us in middle SC right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andrea, late summer/early fall bulbs die back here in late spring/early summer. Naked stems come up by September followed by new foliage after bloom. Foliage persists through our mild winters. I don't know if your lack of cold weather causes failure to bloom.

    Thank you, friends who comment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm enjoying these photos for the second time. First time was in Soiled Again from my iPad. They look even prettier here on my laptop.

    Hope Isaac doesn't bring you too much rain or too much wind.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers