Saturday, December 1, 2012

December's Cold Encourages Camellias

Only a few Camellias have ventured a bloom since last weeks' freezing early morning temperatures.

Usually an embarrassment of blossoms, this is the only
bloom open on a huge bush to the south of the house.
 
Mathotiana

These are two blossoms on the same bush. Planted more than forty years ago the original bush pulled out with the tractor because it was so close to the house. Years passed and it came back from the roots. I just prune enough to keep it from scraping the house. 'Mathotiana' is the cultivar; hardy and persistent.

I looked for buds today. Many of the later-blooming plants are loaded with blooms. Sometimes when they bloom, a freeze kills the open blooms but tight buds follow to open in the next warm spell.

I gathered seeds in the summer. A half-dozen are in a flat in the greenhouse. The rest await planting in the soil somewhere in a place where they'll be safe until they can gain some size. Seedlings from about 20 years ago are good size now and have bloomed in recent years. Exciting because they are hybrids, each one is different.

Rarely is a seedling outstanding enough to warrant the process of naming and registering. He-who-mows had an aunt whose daughter registered one of her mother's seedlings. 'Annie Jones' camellia exists in very few gardens.  
 
 
 




2 comments:

College Gardener said...

Lovely! While I do not get to grow camellias at the moment, living as I am as an apartment dweller in New England, it is nice that I get to follow their season other people's blogs.

gld said...

I am always amazed at how a supposedly removed or dead plant can return. I have a cherry tree seedling do just that. I have no idea what i will end up with.

A camellia bloom still is the 'perfect' bloom for me.

Google+ Followers