Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Promises of Hyacinths

 
Hyacinths are potted after 9 weeks of chill.
 
 
 
Last year I potted some in soil rather than using stones
and water which was the routine for years.

I chilled 15 each of Gypsy Queen and Blue Jacket in a
refrigerator where no fruit is stored.
 

Blues are singles in an 11 cm. pot.
The apricot colors went 3 to a pot in bigger pots.
 

A glimpse of the potting bench over a bromeliad.


Gypsy Queen, three to a pot.
Notice the difference in color of the bulbs.
Blues and purples are always darker.
 

Blue Jacket lined up along the south wall with a tillandsia.
 

Hyacinths join a pot of Christmas Cactus.
 
Later I'll dress them with a raffia or twine bow and a bit of sheet moss over the soil.
If they haven't bloomed by Christmas it won't matter. The blossoms and fragrance will
be welcome in January.
 
Last Christmas hyacinths were in both
water and soil. This is how they should look
in three weeks.
 

Planted December 5, 2011.
Bloomed in six weeks.
 

Six weeks after planting.

Hyacinths are worth the effort for beauty and fragrance.
 




Linking to Fertilizer Friday at Tootsie's. Join us!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Nell, how wonderful it must be watching these bulbs do their thing and seeing the lovely reward when they flower. Thanks for sharing.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great in the pots. I look forward to them flowering every year too. I have them in the garden, but I will put some in pots for outdoor tables and indoors now so I can appreciate them more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can almost smell them.

    You reminded me that I have a small bag of bulbs dug up this spring by the dog that need to get replanted now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad you linked in this week. I have been in the deep freeze of Alberta for a while now and seeing that others still have a few things on the "grow" makes me smile! I hope you will again soon!
    I am sharing this post with my Tootsie Time facebook page!
    Hugs from Alberta Canada
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.
    www.tootsietime.com

    ReplyDelete

Do anonymous commenters really think that a message like this: "I got this web page from my pal who told me concerning this website and at the moment this time I am visiting this web page and reading very informative posts here." -- is relative to any conversation here, particularly when it is left on a post written 4 years ago? The link to cheats on some kind of game kind of gave it away.

Google+ Followers