Friday, January 4, 2013

Amaryllis 'Nymph'

The first bloom opened, with more buds behind it.

'Nymph'
This particular hybrid has a shorter stem and required no staking.

Added to 'Nymph' are 2 orchids I bought today.
 
 

 

I moved out 'Benfica' until the secondary bloom opens.
 
 
Next year I think we'll have all pale Amaryllis.
 
 
'Appleblossom'  in 2011 was fragrant.
 
Bringing Hippeastrums to bloom mid-winter is not difficult: Pot, water, wait, water again when the bud appears. Larger bulbs will usually have a secondary spike after the first one.
 
 
There are many choices in colors from white through darkest red including orange shades. I think these were from 2009.  Species bulbs offer even more choices.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! All of the colors. Thanks for sharing. The dark red ones were my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful! I really love Nymph and Benefica is stunning in it's deep velvety redness.

    Enjoy ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the shorter stem; a real plus.
    I think I like the softer colors better too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your amaryllis colors are really lovely, they can really compete with the orchids in beauty, although of course not in vase life!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers