Saturday, January 5, 2013

There's a Bloom Stalk on my Orchid!

About 4 years ago my Mother's Day present was an orchid in a glass cylinder. The roots grow in pebbles. It has a mulch of some kind of fluffy moss. It survived. I lost the instruction tag. I could find nothing online about growing an orchid in a hurricane glass. I misted and hoped.

I think it is a dendrobium.
 
Last year it put out some aerial roots that I thought were a bloom spike. I finally figured out these were roots despite their notion to grow upward along the sides of the glass.  
 

This morning I discovered a bloom spike,
as evidenced by the bright green color, a
little mitten shape at the end and
joints along the stem.
 
Let's take a closer look: grey-green are roots. Bright green mitten has  buds.

I wonder if the trigger was when I moved it from the east window over to
join the pothos that gets afternoon sun from a west window? I wonder if it
helped when I poured in several ounces of water and then took it outside
and drained off the water?
 
The indoor plants I have are on this enclosed porch: a palm, pothos and
spathiphyllum. Amaryllis and such rotate in and out. when they are in bloom. 
Yesterday I added two orchids on a whim since this one was not
blooming and orchids were on sale at Home Depot.
 
I wonder how to get the water spots off the glass caused by my misting?
 
 

4 comments:

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Hurray for you! I've got several orchids with bloom stalks too.

Enjoy ~ FlowerLady

Andrea said...

Oh good for you, imagine with that cold the Phalaenopsis can still bloom. I hope my guess that it is a Phal is right. That will keep you warm, and i will also provide you with warm colors in my two blogsites, haha!

Tina´s PicStory said...

it´s such a great feeling, if they are blooming again, isn´t it? thanx for your visit :)

cosmosandcleome said...

Good luck with the orchids. I too took advantage of the Home Depot offer (buy one, get one free), and brought home two. It was a total impulse buy--I don't know the first thing about keeping orchids, and I really don't know where I'm going to put them!

My husband needs to build me an addition just for the plants!

Thanks for visiting and commenting on my post the other day!
Kimberley

Google+ Followers