Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Winter's Seeds for Autumn Wildflowers


Meadow, prairie, savanna -- we just call it a pasture. The north end of the farm is where the better wildflowers grow and the Butterfly Wood arises.




























 I went ahead of He-who-mows to mark with red ribbons five little Native Persimmon trees to leave
 along the fence. Here you can see the fate of a Privet that was not marked. He also left a Pine.




























Cutting brush prior to harrowing a fire break along the fence
I gathered seeds of my favorite fall wildflowers to scatter where few or none are growing.

Silk Grass, Pityopsis graminifolia

Agalinis purpurea, purple False Foxglove
 




























Elephantopus tomentosus, Elephant's foot
I left seeds on every stalk to self-sow. Last fall we had an abundance of the plants above.



























Rabbit Tobacco was scarce. When I spied a clump underneath this Live Oak, I quickly gathered the whole thing.

Rabbit Tobacco, Gnaphalium obtusifolium or Pseudognaphalium obtusifolium
This plant has an aromatic scent.
 
I scattered the Ganpahlium seed heads along the south side of several trees in the area similar to where I found this one, in hopes we'll have more next year.
 
Here are links to the wildflowers in bloom
 
 
 
Gelsemium sempervirensm Yellow Jessamine
 
On the way back to the house, I thought to watch for yellow blooms on the
ground along the field road signaling Yellow Jessamine high in the trees.
Imagine my surprise to find this one sprawled over a low bush!
 
I think it's early, maybe not. We've had uncommonly warm days.
Storms are predicted for Wednesday.
 
 
 


3 comments:

  1. Your garden is so very very vast in land mass, I am glad you do have someone, a dear darling who helps you with the mowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rabbit tobacco is another plant we share. I finally found a few plants growing in various flowers beds and hope the self-sow for me. I love the scent. We called it 'life everlasting' and dare I say smoked it as kids at grandma's farm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have some Elephant's Foot growing down by the lake. It is a lovely bloom.
    We have a 'meadow' in our septic field. I have been scattering wildflower seeds after bushhogging in the late fall.
    by the way-- I used a black apron to put behind my Amaryllis for a great photo. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Do anonymous commenters really think that a message like this: "I got this web page from my pal who told me concerning this website and at the moment this time I am visiting this web page and reading very informative posts here." -- is relative to any conversation here, particularly when it is left on a post written 4 years ago? The link to cheats on some kind of game kind of gave it away.

Google+ Followers