Thursday, April 4, 2013

A Second Spring

Our early spring with azaleas, daffodils, dogwood and wisteria is ending with rain pelting lingering petals to the ground.

Wisteria with newly emerging foliage, still with smoky fragrance as petals fall to the ground.
There may be scattered blooms in Wisteria all through the summer into fall.

 

Camellias except for the very latest which usually are blasted by heat before all blooms open.

One of my favorites, our native Calycanthus floridus, Sweet Shrub is a fragrant plant, both the blooms and the foliage. Best planted with other woodland natives because it tends to sucker. As it suckers, old plants may die out as the new young plants replace them.

Now comes the Second Spring, with so many anticipations it is hard to remember them all.

We are anticipating Phildelphus and Oakleaf Hydrangea blooming very soon. Phildelphus extends 'dogwood season' with longer lasting white flowers. Oakleaf Hydrangea's white panicles of bloom are spectacular on their own, changing to pink and finally tan as they age. I nominate H. quercifolia as Queen of the suckering plants.

Early Daylilies are putting on scapes!

There are 3 dozen Pentas plants in pots outside the greenhouse soaking up rainwater and waiting for the first dry day when my cold is better. Chartreuse Alternanthera is ready to plant. There are enough volunteer Purple Alternanthera in pots of other plants to give 'Reine des Violettes' a purple skirt underneath the long canes. At least two Porterweed plants have returned from the dead at the edge of the Ginger Garden and I have cuttings to plant where butterflies will visit. Tall Porterweed with its spikes of tiny bloom draws butterflies to the lower Pentas beds.

There are three areas in the Upper Garden that are about to be mowed to the ground where Crocosmia has taken over and I need cross paths more than I need 5 foot swaths of Crocosmia that may or may not bloom because it has pushed itself out of the ground by forming new corms over old. As I planted Persian Shield and Pineapple Sage, I 'weeded' out young Crocosmia.

Most exciting to anticipate are seeded Spring annuals. Poppies have started, Larkspur and Silene will follow. Petunias are already blooming. Violas may soon start winding down. There is a large Nicotiana alata plant in the lawn on the front right-of-way that I need to dig and replant in a bed. The mower already clipped the top leaves.

Do you dig and replant volunteers in paths or lawns or just dig and toss them?

3 comments:

  1. Smelling your garden. Fragrant from here.

    Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I just called my favorite nursery today to ask if they had received any Pentas. Sadly the answer was NO. They do have Petunias so I'll be making a trip up there tomorrow. My Poppies and Larkspur are getting taller. I can't wait to see them in bloom. I try to transplant something that comes up in the lawn or path...the most recent was two Bachelor Buttons in the lawn. I transplanted them to the bed and they're looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely try to find a new home for good plants that have come up wrong! I just have a very hard time seeing them go to waste.

    I've been known to let them grow in their wrong spot for a year or more, until I can find the right home for them...or until my husband reaches the point of total exasperation!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers