Thursday, April 11, 2013

Cecile Brunner on the Stick House

The Stick House serves no real purpose. I built it nearly 10 years ago during a very low period in my life after our younger son died in a motor vehicle accident. I used Juniper limbs off an old cedar tree. I buried the ends 22" in the ground and interwove the branches so as to support one another.




When He-Who-Mows noticed what I was doing, he produced a roll of safety wire and a tool that makes twisting wire together easy. I was left to my own devices for the rest.

I read that 'Cecile Brunner' rose can take some
 shade. I planted one on the west side.
This is known as the 'Sweetheart Rose' and
has tiny pink buds.

'Cecile Brunner' has finally climbed to the top.


Alamo Vine

Sweet peas planted along the east side never did much. Cardinal climber climbed each pole but never made a drape on the side.. Last year I planted Alamo Vine, seeds from Flower Lady Lorraine. Alamo Vine is returning.

Improvisational Carpentry.
Still sturdy and standing firm.
 
 
During the winter I store pine straw under the stick house frame. It offers no shelter, pine straw needs nothing but a place to wait for use. Over to the right is a Cedar trellis of a sort with a Sombreuil Rose.
 
Sombreuil



3 comments:

  1. It seems to me that the Stick House serves a very important purpose. I think memorials of the botanical sort are special, especially when they're kept close to home. It's a way of keeping memories with us while still affirming the need to move ahead one step - or stick - at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it..but then again, I love art as a general rule...I think it's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing that it is still standing after all these years. I just love how it looks.

    I am so sorry you lost your son. That has to be the worst pain ever.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers