Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Editing the Garden when You Can't Keep Up

Sometimes I think about what will happen when I can't keep up any more. Okay, I think about it often.

One of the features of what I call the Upper Garden are long beds with
paths between. The paths are at least the width of a single 54"mower cut.
I like a stroll garden with paths on which two people can walk side by side.
Any more, I don't want to have to walk a long way to get on the other
side if I see something interesting needing a closer look.

This morning He-Who-Mows cut cross paths across the long beds
where I had indicated, Last year I started cross paths and decided that
more cross paths would not only cut back on areas to plant and weed,
but make short cuts across the length of long beds.  
 

I had to move some shrubs and plants, minimal, sacrificed a very few.
 

At right is one of last year's cross paths.

From this perspective cross paths are hardly noticeable.

In the back of my mind is always the bulldozer in the equipment shed and
other editing equipment.
 
I rolled back stones from a bed in the front and assessed what needs to
go and what stays if I allow another cut. Sometimes I have to stand and
constructively stare for a long time before the final cut.
 
During the winter, I considered new beds. Warm weather has colored my thinking.
 
What do you consider when adding and subtracting in the garden?
 
 

3 comments:

  1. What a lovely place to walk. I don't seem to be very good about reducing the work in my garden but I know I have to do it. I just have a hard time pulling something out but age is starting to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a wide area to work on, but you are privileged to have mowers and equipments to use. I am thinking that it is a bit laborious to maintain and keep of the weeds in your wide area, planting might also needs a lot of time.

    In our case, our land is not flat, and we just let whatever happens in the orchard, we just keep a small space around the house for the ornamentals. But like you i am thinking of a lot of possibilities, changes, and wishes. However, my problem is my absence in the area as i work in the city. Besides, resources in doing what i want is not that handy. So just be it, whatever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a lovely part of your garden. I think making the cross-paths was a smart idea. When we made Morrow Park (the last beds we made and some of it is still under construction), I thought about the water shortage and how to keep from weeding so much. Weeding takes up more of my time than any other garden task.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers