Saturday, April 6, 2013

Loropetalum as an Understory Tree

Left to their own devices, Loropetalums except for a very few not of my acquaintance tend to grow very tall and very wide. Come look at a few of mine.

There are no Loropetalums in my front garden because all shades of pink get sent to the Upper Garden. We'll go up these rough stone steps and begin here.
 

 
Behind this tree is another Loropetalum that has never reached great size. It is coming out this Spring because I have plans for a mowed path to pass right over where it sits, along behind Gingers. When things get worse in a wide bed than I can handle, it is time for the mower to make a sweep.

From the side of this first tree looking straight back, there are roughly 11 Loropetalums, not all visible in this picture.

When first I saw Loropetalums it was a long hedge between the parking lots of two strip malls in town. I thought it was lovely, that hedge. I knew I needed whatever that was. Miss Billie gave me seedlings from under her Loropetalums. 'The ones with green leaves are white," she said. Only one turned out white; the rest varying shades of pink, lovely every one. I spread them around like Marmalade. I think I may have rooted one or two extra.

 
This particular shrub is a lighter pink than its companion behind it. The difference is more noticeable from a distance, because the leaves are different shades as well. This one made a good place to set a 'Belinda's Dream' rose cutting because of the range of related colors. The darker Loropetalums go well with Knockout Roses. I first noticed that in town in front of a grocery store parking lot that is well-maintained with a huge bed of Knockouts and Loropetalums along the street. Naturally theirs are closely-clipped and not trees but the effect is great.
 
 


 
One of the favorite views is seeing white Loropetalum in the distance past the more colorful. These views have the white in shade, so it isn't as visible. It is part of a border around the pumphouse and its little garden. The White Loropetalum anchors the northwest corner. Its companions are gardenias (3 that make a little hedge section + one more), Phildelphus, Spiraea and a Dogwood that a bird planted too close to the pumphouse and I moved.

This is the view in the opposite direction, looking back toward the Upper Garden. In the Upper Garden I planted Loropetalum in groups of three.
 
Do you have Loropetalums? Are they tightly clipped or do they grow into trees?

1 comment:

  1. I have one, and I might have to move it or else keep it tightly clipped. I think I would like to buy more of these. I need to see if the nursery where I bought mine, has more. I always enjoy seeing yours.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers