Sunday, April 21, 2013

Reine des Violettes and Belinda's Dream

Two of my favorite Roses. Okay, whoever is blooming well is always the current favorite.

'Reine des Violettes' is an old rose with a peppery scent. Even the foliage smells good.



Translates to 'Queen of the Violets' which it really is. I grow it on a medium trellis with extra rebar.


 
Belinda's Dream is lightly fragrant and a good sturdy pink shrub rose. One of the TAMU Earth Kind recommended roses. If it grows in in all of Texas it will grow here except for Bluebonnets. These look a little tired because of the rain the night before but you can tell how sturdy they are.



5 comments:

  1. I love old roses and scented is even better. Question for you we were at the retirement community yesterday and saw this huge pink flower 5 inches easily, it looked like a peony. But had woody stems and odd lobed leaves, left me clueless any ideals?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old roses and roses with wonderful scents.

    Your roses are beautiful.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I lost both of those roses over winter. Our last years of drought finally took their toll. My Reine des Violette never looked as healthy as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does the foliage smell like a rose too? Reine des Violettes sounds like a name I need to remember.

    Your butterfly garden sounds divine. It seems like it is going to be a good year for butterflies because I am seeing them everywhere this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Randy, I haven't thought of anything else besides some kind of Hibiscus. Hibiscus syriacus usually doesn't have blooms 5 inches across, but I've seen some lovely doubles. Mine has not commenced bloom yet, so I wonder?

    Tina, the foliage smells like pepper, losing the rose aspect of the peppery fragrance of the blossoms.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers