Thursday, April 18, 2013

The Snake Rustler

I was in the Upper Garden where I'm not easily seen from the road when a truck pulling a small trailer stopped on the roadside just outside my tree line. I went on with what I was doing when I heard rustling in the leaves. I drove my little truck down where I could see the man and asked if anything was wrong. "Oh, No Ma'am, I'm all right," he said.

"Is that a snake you have?" I asked.

"Yes, Ma'am."

"Is it a rattlesnake? I wondered. "No, Ma'am, just a black snake," he said.

"What were you going to do with him?"

"Put him in a pen."
"That's the third black snake this week that's happened to bad luck here, " I said. "Somebody killed two this week."

"Yes, Ma'am, I killed a rattlesnake at your driveway about 3 years ago."

"You can run off all the rattlesnakes, copperheads and other pit vipers you want, but black snakes and rat snakes are our friends," I said. "I saw a Corn snake or Scarlet Snake here the other day in my flower bed."

"Yes, Ma'am." He let the snake go.

In Georgia it is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a $1,000 fine and a year in jail to possess or kill many of nongame wildlife species, including non-venomous snakes (O.C.G.A. §27-1-28).

2 comments:

  1. Oh how wonderful of the countries that can implement their laws thoroughly and well. How i wish we can reach that level, but maybe that will be when all wildlife here is already lost. Our snakes are commercially gathered by some people for those in Chinatown, who drink its blood and use the body for medicines or food or whatever. I am so surprised also in China, where they have like a mini-zoo in big restaurants, that you can point to the animal you want and they will cook it for you! Some are even very beautiful birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We saw a "good" snake in our garden just the other day. I'm hoping they get a vole or mole!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers