Saturday, May 4, 2013

Explore this Corner

We are having the kind of rain that falls gently and softly, just a little too wet to be outside where it's damp and chilly.

 
This is a corner of a bed of spring azaleas, followed by Hydrangeas in summer.
This corner is anchored by a petrified pine root, known in the south as 'lightard' wood.
 
The front edge has Stokesia. I neglected the Daylilies behind the Stokesia. They
would like a bit of compost when I get around to it. 
 
Between budding Stokesia and Hydrangea are an emerging Persian Shield and
a seedling Baptisia (wild indigo), one of four planted last year.
 
A full-sized Baptisia on the other end, early April.
Seedlings are seeds from this plant.
 
Hydrangea buds.
 
In a bed self mulched by oak leaves, it will
be surely blue.

Dogwood seedling, bird-planted behind the Hydrangea.
I am always encouraged by dogwood seedlings, fine understory trees.
 
This was the opposite view on March 14, 2013. You can find the 'lightard stump' just to the left of
the bright pink azalea. The little orange flag on far right marks the edge of the Ginger bed where Alpinias did not die back this past winter. I cut back several that looked tired.
 
Azaleas in this bed include Pink Ruffles, George Lindley Tabor, and Pink Pearl.
Gardens in the South give much space to Azaleas for that once a year show.
Their year-round function is to form backgrounds for other blooms and plants of interest.
 
.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful view of your azaleas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I am impressed you can identify seedlings, but I have gotten much better at it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just beautiful! I really like that white Baptisia. I have yellow, purple and chocolate, but may have to get a white one after seeing yours!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love your gardens!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers