Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Mystery Wildflower Is Dyschoriste oblongifolia

My mystery is solved. I mis-identified a small flower that blooms at woods' edge in the north meadow. When I was corrected, I disagreed with the second suggestion. I've been searching for more than a week for the name of this plant.

Dyschoriste oblongifolia, Oblongleaf Snakeherb  or Pineland Twinflower
 
Several Native nurseries carry this flower. It was noted in two sources as being a host plant for the Buckeye Butterfly, who has more hosts than any other butterfly I know.
 
I am content to leave it to its own devices in the wild gardens.
 
Note the spotted nectar guides, the feature that enabled identification.
 
Tomorrow I was going back to the meadow and smell and taste it to see if I could find any other traits. It's easier to rule out what a plant Is Not on the way to find the true name.
 
Thanks to Stone who Gardens-in-the-Sand for inspiring me to keep looking.
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Such a pretty little flower. How wonderful to find new flowers growing in your meadow. I just found some daisy-like flowers growing in my pasture and was so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!
    I googled your plant after reading your post... Makes a nice clump...

    Looks like it oughta be around here...

    I'd been trying to get guesses from a plant forum and as good as those people usually are... wasn't getting any good responses...

    What kind of self sowing does it do?
    This plant definitely belongs in the garden.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers