Thursday, May 30, 2013

Summer Bulbs A to Z: Agapanthus and Butterfly

First on my list of summer bulbs, Agapanthus. I could hardly wait once the bud stalk appeared.

In the background this morning was a surprise: Gardenias blooming!

These two are smaller, with a bulb sheath still hanging off one.

 
Joining Tootsie for Fertilizer Friday.
 


After I made the initial pictures, I came back to Agapanthus and made
more, as I am prone to do. While I was focusing, I was joined by --
 

 A butterfly!
 
 


I bought these at a local garden center. He identified them as A. africanus, which I wonder. We had a mild winter and these stayed green all winter. I have Storm Cloud, from a different local nursery. It has not yet sent up a bud.






This was the surprise I saw when I looked out this morning. Here we are looking back
toward beds where the agapanthus grow.
 
When summer comes, there are surprises every day in the garden. What was your latest surprise?

7 comments:

  1. How wonderful for the butterfly to visit as you were photographing the agapathus blooms. Great photos.

    My gardenia has been giving me blooms for months, but I am further south. Every time I breathe in their scent I thank God for them and for the day.

    Love and hugs to you ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pics and the butterfly is just the right color! Larry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exciting! I just planted some; we will see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello NellJean, i love all the shots with the butterfly, very clear specially the one still flying going to the flower. I find it hard to freeze their wings like that most specially because swallowtails don't stop fluttering. The agapanthus stalk is so tall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great capture! I love the butterflies..

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Aggies look lovely, but that butterfly is just beautiful. How wonderful that you managed to capture it in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well timed, a nicely matched pair. Our Agapanthus stay evergreen. I sadly admit I tend to forget to water the dormant ones in their season, and they are, no more.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers