Friday, May 17, 2013

The Table is Set. Where Are my Butterflies?

We went to pick Mayhaws for a friend this morning. Mayhaws make jelly considered a delicacy and the fruits are found only in certain areas of the Coastal South. We prefer whole fruit jams, so I rarely make jelly.

 Erigeron, commonly called Daisy Fleabane, covers the meadows. He-Who-Mows mowed paths through the flowers yesterday.There is a cultivated field at the very north end beyond the woods, but this area is just meadow and woods.

 Agrostis, Winter Bentgrass in the flat beside the Mayhaw pond. The little tree is a Mayhaw.

New York Ironweed, Vernonia noveboracensis 
Vervain. Some kind of erect Verbena, but not V. bonariensis. 

 Vervain and Winter Bentgrass. Agrostis blooms in Spring. It resembles Muhly Grass which blooms in August. Bentgrass is smaller.

These are Mayhaws, tiny red fruits that look like apples and taste
somewhat like apples. We gathered about 5 pints of fruit.

 Beautyberry grove at the top of the hill under Live Oaks.
In previous years, this wildflower was plentiful.

I found only a few today.

Elephant's Foot blooms in the Fall but it is always
interesting to see.

This is the primary butterfly magnet in the wild areas, wild Lantana. I saw no butterflies. In my home garden, I plant trailing Lantanas because they don't seed about the way these do. In the wild areas, they are free to move about but stay along wood's edge.


Near the Lantanas are vines of Passiflora -- we call them Maypops -- host
plant for Gulf Fritillaries. This vine has firmly attached itself to a
small Chinaberry tree. Passiflora has a distinctive 3-lobed leaf.

Erigeron close up. Not an intentional picture, lol.
It clicked while I was trying to get close to the Maypops.

Butterflies were plentiful here when azaleas were blooming. There is a lull while we wait for the next horde. I saw plenty of Pipevine and Wild Cherry, too. They will know when it's time.

10 comments:

  1. Oh my all that beauty and space that you have surrounding you. Love the little excursion and that last photo is a neat accident.

    Have a lovely weekend Nell ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of Mayhaws. The picture of the field with the FleaBane is just lovely. I miss Live Oaks so much. They grew all over San Diego and were so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No butterflies?
    That isn't right...

    Enjoyed the meadow pictures, the country needs more wildflower meadows instead of the endless turf...

    I have a coupla corrections on your plants...
    Your "ironweed" looks like verbena bonaris...
    Your "penstemmon" looks like Ruellia humilis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you have a field of love grass. How fortunate to live near such a beautiful meadow. :o) How'd the jam/jelly turn out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stone, I am interested to know on what you based your assessment of my Vernonia and Penstemon as being other flowers? I went back and got better pictures of both to make sure of my ID.

    I'll make a post showing Vernonia and Verbena on a Stick side by side. There is a noticeable difference.

    I can't show Ruellia with the Penstemon because Ruellia isn't blooming here except for the little red Katy, but I compared with an online pic. Penstemon won.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lorraine, thank you. Alamo vine is climbing the Stick House once again.

    The jelly's end is not known to me, yet. Our friend picked up the fruit yesterday on his way home from work.

    We had a sprinkle of rain, just a sprinkle today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your property is gorgeous. I have to ask are the beautyberries cultivated under the live oaks? This is kind of what I'd like to see in a forest. Not all the weeds. The meadow is very pretty. Never heard of mayhaws before. Sounds like fun to eat the jam.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Re ruellia:
    http://hawthornhillwildflowers.blogspot.com/2011/12/wild-petunia-ruellia-caroliniensis.html

    While the garden verbena on a stick is a showy plant from south America, I can't find anything else to call the tall wild verbena.

    Nor can I find a penstemon with a ruellia bloom.

    You dont need to publish this... I'm just interested in everybody using the same names for their plants....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I won't call them Penstemons any more. I won't call them any kind of Petunia, either.

    I'm okay with calling a tall wild Verbena a Vervain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ruellia is an interesting family of plants.
    I found one flower of interest ... almost has the same colours...
    A couple of interesting posibilities are the creeping ruellia and the prostrate ruellia... 2 different types...

    ReplyDelete

Do anonymous commenters really think that a message like this: "I got this web page from my pal who told me concerning this website and at the moment this time I am visiting this web page and reading very informative posts here." -- is relative to any conversation here, particularly when it is left on a post written 4 years ago? The link to cheats on some kind of game kind of gave it away.

Google+ Followers