Monday, May 27, 2013

The Year of the Lily

Ample Spring moisture and cool temperatures brought forth true lilies like I've not seen in a while.

'Easter Bonnet'

 Longiflorum lily that I don't remember planting. Fragrant. This is a species lily.
 
All the others are Hybrids.

I gave all lilies a handful of wood ashes when they first came up.

I think I may have given them a spoonful of lime as well.

 These lilies were planted to take advantage of contrasting blue companions.

I think this is 'Blackout' Asiatic

Longiflorum-Asiatic Hybrid.
 
I'm calling it the Year of the Lily; officially the National Gardening Bureau calls this the Year of the Gerbera. Maybe we can just say that Lilies are the Bulb of the Year.
 
Which Lilies are your favorites?

6 comments:

  1. Margaret Mosely recommends 'Madonna' lilies.

    She's always right.

    Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madonna Lilies would extend the Lily season. I think I've seen them blooming in September here -- or was that Philllipine lilies? Either one would be super. I will watch for seed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...your lilies are so beautiful! I have some lilies and they should open within the week...I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Blooms!! Thanks so much for stopping by !! I do also have a pair of gloves from Dollar Tree that I wear for gardening!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the new header picture.

    Your lilies are beautiful. I have completely lost track of the names of mine. I do think all my colored Asiatics are gone. I will have to wait a few weeks before mine are open. They have spread very nicely this year. I have both wood ashes and lime....I need to get busy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the color combination you have it in the header.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers