Friday, May 3, 2013

These Stones Don't Roll

A short history of adding stones to the Front Garden, starting in 2006. These are homegrown stones dug from an adjoining field.  The longest stone was more than 7 feet long. Limestone, they have fossils galore.

May, 2006. Grass killed before I started with soil.

It took several loads of topsoil and composted gin trash to form the berms.
 

July, 2005, Black-eyed Susans  and S. leucantha

 By fall Salvia leucantha had filled in along with Melampodium and Madagascar Periwinkles. I stuck bamboo poles in various spots until I decided where 'Lilacina' Crape Myrtles would go.


The beginning of Lantana Montevidensis. I grew lots of Melampodium and Periwinkles as filler.
Those are caladiums in the background. The Yellow Rose Bed came later.

April, 2007
Maybe this was the first year I grew Parfum Purple Nicotiana. 
In the background is the Confederate Jasmine vine that covered the tall stump of a big Live Oak that fell in 2004. Eventually, we cut the vines and the stump fell over. That bed is the site of Tithonia in summer for butterflies and Muhly Grass in fall, .

 

Proof that I can, too, grow tulips, sigh. Only Daffodils now.
 
Many years of additions and deletions resulted.
 
April, 2013
 
Stones are hardly visible now, but they are the backbone of a berm that keeps the front yard from looking as if it is going to slide onto the Highway right of way at any moment.
 
April, 2013
 
Never finished, I added a row of Lemon Grass culms recently along the near edge. Spiderwort at the other end needs editing. Squirrels plant pecans every fall. I left one to grow. I may dig it out.
 
Datura seedling set behind the end stone.
 
Mostly Lantana faces the road. The prettiest things are on the back side for my pleasure.
As California Poppies fade, Black-eyed Susans will come into bloom on the end with Purple Heart and Chartreuse Lantana at their feet. I haven't hought of anything prettier or easier.  Salvia leucantha still brings a purple haze along the back, come fall.
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 


6 comments:

  1. I have always liked rocks in a garden and yours are incredible. The area sure has changed over the years...it's really filled in and looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love seeing the evolution of your berms, complete with stones! They are beautiful and must be a treat for folks who pass by on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely transitions..it's amazing how our perceptions of a garden change over the years.

    What do you mulch with?

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I mulch with Pine Straw because it is what grows here. Great for acid lovers like azaleas. Assures hydrangeas will be blue. Doesn't blow away or wash away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How interesting to see a bed change and mature over the years. I really like its look by now. Good job!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice use of rocks as a backbone for the berms. It was interesting seeing the berms change over the years.

    ReplyDelete

Do anonymous commenters really think that a message like this: "I got this web page from my pal who told me concerning this website and at the moment this time I am visiting this web page and reading very informative posts here." -- is relative to any conversation here, particularly when it is left on a post written 4 years ago? The link to cheats on some kind of game kind of gave it away.

Google+ Followers