Thursday, June 27, 2013

Coming Attractions and another Look at Previous Delights.

Brugmansia blooms should open tonight.
There are at least two dozen buds on this plant, which returned from last year's roots. Yellow in bud, they will open pink. I took the pic this morning. This evening they are already beginning to show a swirl of the little 'skirts' and will open after dark.
 
First blooms on Agapanthus have shedded leaving the allium-like seed pods to grow.
Hot weather and recent rains left the lawn looking lush.

Every time I show a broad view, I see many details that need attention. While the weather is so hot and humid, it will be pressing needs for now. One thing I've left looking shabby is underneath the Camellias, now trees. Suckers or seedlings underneath are left until fall for transplanting. The ones I moved a month or so ago did not fare well.  Sweet Alyssum at bottom left needs another haircut. A Natchez Crape Myrtle at upper right is slow to put on blooms. A seedling, it needs a little age to perform well.

Yesterday I saw a Zebra; today I saw a Tiger. Swallowtail butterflies are slow to return this year. I see occasional Pipevines and Spicebush Swallowtails. The first Tithonia bloom opened today. That should bring them flying if anything does.

3 comments:

  1. Everything does look lush and isn't that nice.

    I still have very few butterflies and haven 't had many for a few years now. I don't know why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your place looks lovely. I had a nice Brugmansia that died and that of course was depressing. It used to be huge and covered in blooms, then we had a 3-4 year drought and that did a number on it.

    I've seen Gulf fritillaries, lots of sulphurs too, Black Eastern Swallowtails, and a few others, plus LOTS of zebras as they are our state butterfly.

    Happy Gardening dear Nell and keep cool.

    FlowerLady

    Have a nice weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Brugmansia. I had one in a large planter at my old house but haven't found a place for one at the current house yet. Maybe when I tear out some more of the lawn, I'll find the right site but, as in your case, it's getting too hot to do something like dig out lawn now...

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers