Thursday, June 20, 2013

Remember the Alamo Vine

A Texas native, Alamo Vine Merremia dissecta seeds were sent to me by Flower Lady who grows it in Florida.

The blooms resemble Wild Sweet Potato Vine Ipomoea Pandurata.
Wild Sweet Potato is common along fence rows and field edges here.
 
 

Leaves are very different: I. pandurata are
(fiddle-shaped) vs. the dissected Merremia dissecta.

Alamo vine reached the top of the Stick House.
 
Flower Lady grows her Alamo Vine with Blue Pea Vine.
I found this blue pea Clitoria spp. at woods' edge in the far pasture.
 
I am not a real fan of vines. One bird-planted blue Morning Glory near my Camellia sasanqua last year is now a colony that must be grubbed out. I dug out huge potato-like roots of Cat Brier beside it.
 
Much of my gardening time is spent on vines. I read that Wisteria at a famous botanical garden requires 4 gardeners. I hack at my Wisteria all the time, and the dreaded Kudzu bugs have returned to it. I don't want them to eat all the Wisteria because their second choice for dinner is Figs when wisteria is gone.  
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I understand your reservations about vines. I foolishly allowed a morning glory to take root in my former (tiny) yard and it took over. I loved the beautiful blue color - then it became infested with giant white flies. It was a good 2 years before I got the last pieces out. There was a wisteria planted over an arbor at this house, which I pulled out the 1st year but pieces keep popping up - most recently in the middle of a compacted dirt path. They're amazing and scary at the same time! Good luck managing yours, Nell Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of the alamo vine. Interesting that it's a Texas native. I mistakenly planted morning glories one year. Lesson learned! :) I am too scared to plant a wisteria, although I would love to have one (if I had four gardeners to take care of it!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exotic vines take over so very quickly here in the tropics. Clitoria is an environmental weed in my region, and it pops up all the time around our property.

    Your Alamo Vine has certainly take off and must have a great view from way up atop the stick house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the alamo vine leaves, flowers and seed pods, but oh my at all of the babies that come up from the seeds. They are easy to pull up though.

    I am glad yours has bloomed. It looks very healthy.

    I love my blue pea vine too.

    Happy Gardening ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers