Monday, July 29, 2013

New Stones and Pigeon Berries

Stones are not new, they are memories of the landscape all the way back for eons of time. All our stones are mostly limestone and full of fossils. He-who-mows and operates machinery hauled in these new-to-the-garden stones for me yesterday.

These are my newly placed stones, brought in from along a
fence where they used to mark the waterline for a cow trough.
The one above measures roughly 18x24" and is
about 9 inches tall.

This rock is about 16x22" and a little taller than the first.
I gave them a bath before their photo shoot to remove the
loose dirt covering them, lol.
 
When brought in, they rolled off the root rake and on each side
of an existing stone in front of what I call the stump bed.
 
I hurriedly moved these smaller stones as the tractor came down the drive, rolling the front two because they are too heavy to lift. One of these goes back in the line. The others get new homes.
 
Stones edge the low front side of this bed. Grasses at right are Gulf Muhly. Yellow flowers at center front are Melampodium and Tithonia at right. The tall shrubs at center are Duranta erecta, slow to bloom. The stone at left is one waiting to be moved. I've already done some pruning of Duranta today since these pics were taken.
 
 
 
Speaking of Duranta, there is only one that survived the winter without being killed back to roots.
For the first time ever, after all the rain it put on the significant yellow berries that gives it the common name, Golden Dewdrop. Its other common name is Pigeon Berry.
 
Yellow berries and purple flowers of Duranta.
 
Not one of the main favorites of butterflies but there is usually at least one Pipevine Swallowtail fluttering among the flowers, just not when I'm making a pic.
 
My new routine for butterfly pictures is just to point in their direction and click, click, click. When I come inside I discard all but the focused ones with a butterfly. They flutter so quickly that some frames are empty, some too blurred and maybe one in ten is marvelous by my standards.
 
North side of the bed with the new stones, Tithonia and some Datura, right.
At upper left there is a Gulf Fritillary; everybody else fluttered away when the camera appeared. Earlier in the day there was a Tiger Swallowtail who of course flew out of sight when camera appeared and I gave chase.
 
If you are farther north, be assured that butterflies are coming to a garden near you. Soonest.
 
 
 
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Blogger is fighting me this morning....I will try again.

    My husband also brings me good rocks. I have edged the light pole bed with them. Most of mine aren't that large.

    We have limestone also...and with interesting fossils.

    I am not sure what the other rocks we call field stones are called.

    I do hope you are right about the butterflies coming to us...I will be watching. Have you ever used a sport (fast) setting to catch them in flight? I have done it both ways or just the zoom to catch them on a flower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we lived in Miami, my husband worked underground construction and would bring home beautiful, albeit huge, limestone rocks. Just the coolest things . . . your post brought back a lot of fond memories.

    Love your flowers, especially the Tithonia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pigeon berry! I have what looks to be the very same Duranta in a pot in my backyard but I'd never heard this common name for it. They're usually referred to as "sky flower" here. Whatever the name, it's a nice plant - and it doesn't seem to turn a purple/brown color in cooler weather like Duranta 'Gold Mound' does here either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the nice comments on my blog.
    It is a magnolia tulip tree not a poplar. This time of year the whole tree gets kind of moldy and the leaves will drop. But come next spring fresh leaves and flowers every year. The tree is just in a bad spot way too close to the house so is the dogwood, I thought if I could save a start I could cut these down and move them out into the yard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those stones rae exactly like the ones we find locally in Texas. :)

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers