Saturday, July 13, 2013

Succession Planting

Succession Planting is usually thought of as having garden vegetables throughout the season. Christopher Lloyd wrote a book about Succession Planting in the ornamental garden. I've been striving for year-round fragrance and bloom for years.

Two views of the same area.
Last week Brugmansia blossoms numbered by dozens.
All shedded and deadheaded. There are already
new buds of good size. 
 

Underplanting the Brug is Datura of two types.
There are Daylilies and Periwinkles.
Naked ladies on the right. Pentas on the left.
 
 
Melampodium attracted a Checkerspot on the far end.
Self-planted Melampodium is never in my plans but I always let it stay.
 
I think this bed can carry itself to Autumn without further planting.
Come winter, Camellias will bloom behind the boxwood and Graptopetalum
will again take the low stage on the bricks. Maybe I'll stick in some violas.
 
How successful are you at Succession Planting?
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Curious, what blooms for you in winter? The one thing that bloomed for me all winter and has yet to stop is gallardia..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Alyssum is the only thing from I can think of that blooms year 'round. Red Shrimp Plant and trailing Lantana will bloom most all year when the winters are mild if they have a little shelter like under scrub live oaks or pines.

    There are several things that are planted in fall for winter bloom then faint and fall over when hot comes: Violas/Pansies, Snapdragons -- sometimes you can keep snaps going for quite a while, Nicotiana. Gerbera daisies will bloom all winter unless there is a hard freeze. I pot up Gerberas so I can take them inside if a hard freeze threatens.

    Narcissus blooms in January, certain daffodils and hyacinths in February.

    Loropetalum is apt to bloom in January, February and on through to June, then bloom again come August.

    Rosemary blooms in winter.

    I'm thinking about planting some Calendulas this fall for late winter bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not very; maybe if I cut way back and just concentrate on a very few beds I can do better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have succession beds, Glenda. One bed goes out, focus over on the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I forgot to mention Camellias of various kinds blooming from late November to early April. Blooms that freeze takes out are quickly replaced when tight buds unaffected by cold open when temps warm again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When would you plant sweet alyssum?

    ReplyDelete
  7. TAMU says Alyssum is best planted in early spring.

    Optimum soil temperature for germination: 55-75F -TAMU

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers