Sunday, July 28, 2013

What Shall I Plant in this Found Spot?

I pruned the lower limbs of what was once a small Natchez Crape Myrtle. They do grow large. The hanging limbs hid this mulched spot.

The stems and leaves on the back and right side that look as if I failed to finish are two seedlings that will move as soon as fall comes. The single plant is nicotiana, done with blooming.

White Crape Myrtle before pruning.

I like Crapes pruned like the one directly opposite on the south side.


The side of the bed next the driveway has yellow daylilies now out of bloom. I am thinking of adding Pandora's Box daylilies on the end.

Pandora is now in a poor bed shaded by trees and shrubs.
She needs to move to a richer sunnier spot where she gets morning sun.

It's a luxury to have a great big bed end just waiting for planting that doesn't require removing grass or some other task before plants can go in. It might benefit by a little compost and of course the edges made crisp and straight. Maybe Pandora would like some daffodils behind her where she can hide maturing foliage.

Some pale pink Pentas on the far side for summer
like these would be nice. Oh, the possibilities!  

Pandora, 2011 in a different light.




3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what you decide to plant. I'd add my vote to Pandora and that pretty pale pink Pentas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your crepe myrtles are gorgeous. I like the way you have pruned them. Obviously, you have never committed crepe murder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the plan. A bare spot, already mulched, a gardeners dream spot.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers