Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Where Are the Butterflies?

Every year I get impatient and worry that they're not coming back. The broods of butterflies that hatch in early Spring disappear and then it seems like forever before the next broods come.

They're coming back in twos and threes instead of the dozens I expect. Today I saw a female Tiger, a Pipevine and 3 Spicebush Swallowtails. I was encouraged when Susie said they're scarce at the Butterfly Garden she maintains in the next county north.

A Dogface Sulphur Zerene cesonia was puddling at the door of the toolshed today.
 It's difficult to get a pic of their widespread wings because they light with wings closed.  Luck will get you at least a partial open wing pic. The 'dogface' looks more like a cartoon man.

He clung to a rusty bucket of landplaster. I do not know if he was after
Calcium fromThe the Gypsum or iron in the rust.


Are you seeing butterflies?

Passiflora awaits Gulf Frits July 8.


3 comments:

  1. I've seen a few yellow swallowtails, but still waiting for others. I noticed munching on the milkweed just yesterday...that seems like a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have blogged about the scarcity of butterflies in my garden near Houston, too. There are drastically fewer of almost all kinds that I would expect in summer. And I'm hardly seeing any swallowtails which are usually my most numerous butterflies at this time. Lately the numbers have begun to pick up a bit, so I'm hopeful that coming weeks will see the usual population explosion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen a few, but not many. We had to remove my huge butterfly bush and replace it with a tiny one, so I suspect that I won't see nearly as many since that's what they all came to see.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers