Friday, August 16, 2013

Flaunting Begonias

The Begonia Family boasts hundreds of members. I grow two of the more common.

Wax Begonia (Semperflorens Cultorum Group)
 
It's hard to choose from white, pink or red so
I grow some of each.
 
 

Wax begonia is a popular tender perennial mostly grown as garden annual.The compact, bushy, mounded, fibrous-rooted plant features fleshy stems, waxy green to bronze leaves and loose clusters of single or double flowers in shades of white, pink or red. There are dwarf varieties.

I take cuttings for the winter greenhouse. They never stop blooming.

Angel Wing Begonia, a cane begonia.
This one is in a pot.

Leaves are shaped like the wings of an angel.
Brittle stems of the cane begonias break easily when they grow tall. I root every piece that breaks.
 
I put rooted pieces along my Upper Garden walkway that also serves as a dry creek, draining flood water from the Upper Garden.

 Heavy rains left sand on loose-laid brick walls and washed away pine straw on the walk. I'll likely just wait a couple months for more pine straw to fall, pulling weeds and sweeping the walk clean. A dead pine limb had fallen on one of the plants before I took this picture, a hazard of being under pine trees. The bonus side is instant mulch every fall.

Linking to Flaunt Your Flowers on Fertilizer Friday at Tootsie Time.

7 comments:

  1. I love your angel wing begonia. I'll have to see if I can find that around here. I have one begonia, big round leaves with white lightly scented blooms.

    I saw some beautiful varieties at the botanical gardens in the spring.

    Have a wonderful weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never cared much for wax begonia, until I saw it up close used in window boxes with other plants. Before that, I always saw it as a bedding plant in mass plantings of suburban developments. I guess one's opinion depends on how one usually sees it used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your begonias made me realize how clean and beautiful your plant leaves always are. Seems mine are always a bit tattered and untidy.

    I love the white begonias....maybe better than the colored ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have an angel winged begonia that has done well..one of the few things that I seem to be able to grow in a container....do you need to prune them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. They don't need pruning. You can pinch off the uglies. If a piece breaks, let it lie around for about a day and callous and then stick it in some soil to root.

    I like the white. I love the red in the winter greenhouse with other pretties in white and coral, like Amaryllis and such.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would like begonias even if they didn't bloom. The foliage is so pretty,

    Thanks for the tip about keeping Night Blooming Cactus blooms in the refrigerator to keep them until the next day.

    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. For some reason we have never used begonias in our shady back garden. This post is a good reminder to give them some space next year.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers