Tuesday, August 27, 2013

On Grasses and a White Bed and more Butterflies

So many pics pile up that it is hard to keep up with what I meant to tell and show you. There are a dozen or more butterfly pictures including a Skipper and an RSP that has finally tamed enough to sit still for portraits.

Skipper

Satiated with butterflies I was beginning to neglect showing what is growing and blooming.

Cymbopogon citratus Lemon Grass
Descriptions of Lemon Grass always mention that it is used in Thai cooking.
Rarely there is mention of its lemon taste that even attracts my pets who chew it.


I did not come easily to using grasses in the garden, having grown up with the notion of  grasses being 'weedy.' The trick is to make them look intentional. Here they form a border edge.

Madagascar Periwinkles plant themselves annually.

Plans for the south side of the greenhouse did not come together exactly
as planned. Copious rains melted Sweet William, of which very few plants
survive. White Pentas did very well, the few planted.


White Lantana is a hit. I rooted 6 last winter and let them die for lack of watering.
Started over with one and now there are 3 plants in the bed and
4 extras yet to plant.

Pentas! I've changed from favoring the reds and
bright pinks to white and pale pink.

Purple Alternanthera planted itself here. The greenhouse is full of it. Time to cut it back. It is a
grand filler and foil for pale greens, toughter than Coleus and can stand a drought.

Chartreuse Alternanthera with Graptopetalum, Periwinkles and a leggy
Datura. Chartreuse Alternanthera, the trade calls it yellow.

Red Spotted Purple






4 comments:

  1. Good to know about the Alternanthera being drought tolerant. I know what you mean about not being able to keep up. It took me a while to warm up to grasses too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dianthuses like to be on the dry side, too. Most of my Sweet William and much of Bath's Pinks have melted out. The Pinks fared best where centipede grass crept in to suck up the rain. Sweet William seemed not ot realize they were at the top of a little raised area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was interested in this post because I'm adding some grasses to my garden this year. And like you, I find them to be a bit 'weedy'. Good advice about making them look intentional!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the white pentas. I might put those in my garden next year.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers