Monday, August 12, 2013

Where the Wild Things Grow, Autumn Promises.

This is where I go to 'get away' from the garden that wants neat edges and no weeds. Here even weeds are desirable.
Blue vervain is just a weed but butterflies like it. 


Silk Grass has tall stems that will burst into bloom soon. I saw one yellow blossom. I was not going to get a pic at all until I saw how big this clump was. The meadows are full of silk grass.


Silk Grass, October 2012.


Last fall, Agalinis bloomed in what's a pond right now.
This year's crop is farther away up the hill where I stood with the camera.

Agalinis, False Foxglove has formed colonies all over. You can tell which way the wind blew, scattering seeds.

Elephant's Foot is near bloom too. I am amazed at how much taller the stems are this year after all the rain. Elephantapus already has the tri-cornered bracts that precede pink blooms.

Spurred Butterly Pea is prolific at woods' edge.
 

Goldenrod, Solidago in foreground is about 2 months from bloom; Sumac in background has white blooms.
If white blooms of Sumac make red berries, it's the good kind. Poison sumac has white berries that never get red. I think these are the good kind. Little groves have formed around trees and along fences. Deer enjoy them. By October, we'll have glorious red Sumac leaves.

Speaking of deer, He-who-mows and the Dog rode up here last night. They saw a huge buck and the Dog went crazy. Then they saw a herd of 10. Deer hunting here is legendary. The lady who hunts in the big woods across the highway has pictures on her deer cam to back up the rumors. Hunting is managed; we don't hunt nor do we eat venison.

This afternoon after He-who mowed the paths, we were up there and saw a doe and her fawn. They ran from Woods edge to the 3 acre wood.

Some grasses are starting to head out. Bluestems are not yet putting up seed panicles. There are groves of Beautyberry whose berries are just turning pink. Pokeweed berries are still white.

I love the wild gardens because they require no care except mowed paths where we can explore and controlled burn in late winter.




6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful area. Mother Nature is truly the best gardener! The agalinis is so pretty. I've never heard that about the sumac. I'll have to look to see if the blooms here turn red. The deer here have really bounced back from the big drought year when they really suffered. I don't think I've ever seen a herd of 10, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I misspoke, Holley. The white blooms made red berries on the good kind. Poison sumac berries remain white and never turn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My yard may soon qualify for a 'wild' area..........
    More rain yesterday. We who mow are going to try again today.

    I love the large area of pink where the pond now is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you wrote the pea vine was. I have it here as well. I love the spanish moss, of course...and there is something about flowers that you didn't have to take care of. You aren't distracted by things you need to do versus just appreciating them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glenda, heat and rain will cause everybody's garden to try to get out of hand. In the dead of winter, I always wonder if everything will grow the next year, and it does.

    Janie, I'm drawn to the wild garden now. I try to stay in the shadier parts but this morning I sat much too long in the sun trying to coax butterflies to come near.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spectacular agalinas shot!
    My long view shot from last year is broken up with a buncha yella from the camphor weeds... they're pretty too...

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers