Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Yellow in the Garden

Yellow can be seen from a long way so little bits of it show up nicely.

Butterflies are attracted to broad sweeps of Lantana along open spaces.

The dragonfly was a bonus when I was getting the Black eyed Susans.
Susans are most plentiful in June and July, mostly dying out now.

Julia Child roses in a bed with white Pentas. Daylilies are coming back into bloom.

 
I solved the problem of what goes where by putting most of the yellows in the Front Garden
and most pinks in the Upper Garden, sort of. Daffodils are a spring exception. 
 
 
A pink just will sneak into the Front, like this Carefree Delight rose that went in before I had that color notion.



Yellow cache pots await fall delights in the greenhouse.
Inexpensive, they started out gaudy and bright but faded in the sun.

Melampodium, my favorite self-seeder lasts until frost.
No deadheading, no pests.

Chartreuse Alternanthera, listed as Yellow in the catalogs.

Gold-dust Aucuba in the Upper Garden but
out of sight of most of the pinks.

Yellow pepper on a container plant left from last year.

Esperanza is finally coming back in bloom. It crowds Pride of Barbados behind it.
Some new Pride of Barbados plants are nearby. One is about to bloom for the first time.
 
How do you use yellow in your garden?
 

3 comments:

  1. Love all your yellows, especially the Melampodium. I've never grown it, but I really should, I hear it is very easy from seed and practically flowers as it is sprouting. I like the faded cachepots too. My Susans are just beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely plan anything so I just enjoy yellow where every it shows up!

    I love melampodium too. I hope I can save seeds this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There must be more than one version of black eyed susan. The one you are showing in the picture I saw last year..but it almost looked like a succulent...could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete

Do anonymous commenters really think that a message like this: "I got this web page from my pal who told me concerning this website and at the moment this time I am visiting this web page and reading very informative posts here." -- is relative to any conversation here, particularly when it is left on a post written 4 years ago? The link to cheats on some kind of game kind of gave it away.

Google+ Followers