Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Pentas in the Early Fall Garden


Come back to the House Gardens, we've wandered in the meadows and there is more to see but at the house some blooms have intensified. The number of butterflies seems fewer, but they're still finding Pentas attractive.


Pentas will last until a killing frost. I've gathered Pentas bouquets for Christmas from areas that have everygreen cover overhead. Sometimes I keep those bouquets for months, snipping off the dead blooms and then cutting the stems again to root pieces for spring planting.



Palest pink Pentas and palest pink Gerbera Daisies make good companions. I noticed Gerbera daisies at a Garden center this morning. They like cool weather. My Gerberas are like the species. Those in the garden centers have round-tipped petals and brilliant colors.




Just a side note, some wild poinsettia came up among the Pentas. I will have to destroy potential seeds but I'd like to see the bracts turn red. These reseed like crazy, as evidenced by their coming back after I thought I pulled every one last year before they made seeds.

White Pentas carry the Yellow Rose Garden. I think I'll dig out the Shasta daisies that tend to leave bloomless holes in late summer.

I am never sure that Pentas will return in spring. A harsh winter may kill the roots. A few pieces rooted will insure that I don't lose all the colors. Rooted early, they'll bloom as house plants in winter. I may have waited too late to have blossoms before spring.










5 comments:

  1. Your pentas are beautiful. I also like that pink gerbera. I've never seen one that sweet of a color. And I had no idea poinsettias would reseed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wild Poinsettia is Euphorbia cyathophora Depending on whose literature you are reading, it is either a glorious native or a noxious weed in peanut fields, which would be the case here.

    I'll be pulling mine before it can pop those copious seeds.

    Commercial Hybrid Poinsettia is usually classified in the genus Euphorbia subgenus Poinsettia, although you might occasionally see the scientific name as Poinsettia pulcherrima. These do not reseed that I know of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wild Poinsettia is Euphorbia cyathophora Depending on whose literature you are reading, it is either a glorious native or a noxious weed in peanut fields, which would be the case here.

    I'll be pulling mine before it can pop those copious seeds.

    Commercial Hybrid Poinsettia is usually classified in the genus Euphorbia subgenus Poinsettia, although you might occasionally see the scientific name as Poinsettia pulcherrima. These do not reseed that I know of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I was better about taking cuttings,I would definitely buy pentas. The red one is just outstanding.

    I will be doing good to take some rose cuttings.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers