Saturday, October 19, 2013

Grasses in My Garden

I made a post of the Meadow Grasses last week, most of which I don't even know their names. In the Gardens proper, I have only three Ornamental grasses and those came reluctantly because I was brought up thinking grasses were "Weedy!"

Gulf Muhly Muhlenbergia capillaris

Senescesce has set in, not only in the Autumn Garden but in the gardener. I forgot to link to Tootsie for Fertilizer Friday and then I failed to link only to the post I meant to link and linked the blog in general so you will end up here for a day or two. Fertilizer Friday at Tootsie Time Then the link didn't work. sigh. I think it works now.

Vetiver Vetiveria zizanioides
now reclassified as Chrysopogon zizanioides
Vetiver is a grass native to Southern India, Sri Lanka and Indonesia.
Vetiver has fallen out of fashion and become forgotten or unknown.
It is grown for the fragrant roots for pot pourri. It makes a lovely screen. 
The ends of the leaves fall forward and make a unicorn's horn late in the season. 
 
 
Lemon Grass Cymbopogon citratus
Used in Thai cooking and making a tea. Pets love it to chew.
 
I didn't include lawn grasses. The lawns here are a combo of Centipede grass, Bermuda and Bahia grass. Bermuda takes the rich, sunny places and hates traffic. Centipede will grow in shade and doesn't want nitrogen added. Bahia is a pasture grass that survives drought. All are winter dormant. Sometimes I overseed with rye grass for the winter.
 
After all the summer rain, Dichondra -- not a grass -- has formed turf in many spots.  Dichondra takes over weak spots; well maintained turf will choke it out. It pulls out easily like unraveling crochet where it creeps into flower beds. I take a benign view of it.
 
Which are your favorite grasses?Fertilizer Friday at Tootsie Time

8 comments:

  1. Love all the grasses, I especially love the lemon grass...love you post on grasses...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that clump of Muhly is soooo pretty! It took me a while to warm up to grasses too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't grow ornamental grasses except an occasional annual in a pot. But your Muhly is tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have to cut down or burn off your grasses (in the yard)? I have found that is the only negative to ornamental grasses. I have to remember to burn them off in the winter. They are so huge that cutting them back would be a real task.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grasses do like burning off, especially the Muhly. I usually cut the Vetiver because the culms are so useful for marking things or laid thick for a mulch. Lemon grass dies back to the ground and likes to be dug in the spring and replanted, pieces all around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same feelings about grass but I've slowly gained appreciation for their charms. In my current garden I grow Stipa (Nasella) tenuissima, Pennisetum setaceum 'Rubrum', and Sesleria caerulea and various grass-like plants like Carex.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just in the past couple of years I have grown and come to like grasses. I have never seen vertiver, but I have smelled the fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looked around a bit more. Another species of saltbush, called quailbush (Atriplex lentiformis), was also turning color.Tennessee Wholesale Nursery

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers