Thursday, October 31, 2013

Little Shop of Halloween Horrors

Not much happens on Halloween here. Children celebrated Halloween at their Grandmother's house down the road. I caught Buffy the Dog trying to sneak off down there when she heard their shouts and laughter.  Earlier in the day I rode up to the wild meadow and here's what spooky things I found.

Dead 'possum on the dirt road. 

Buzzard waiting for me to leave so he can 
check out the possum.

The critter was not 'playing possum' -- I made a later pic but thought 
better of displaying it.

Spanish moss and Sumac

Scary dead tree. He-who-mows proposes to take it down. 
I wonder what all makes a home inside?

This looked spooky to me. The red leaves covered in Spanish Moss are
a Black Gum tree, I think. Notice huge vine on tree on left.

Snag from a fallen tree. Home for something.


Beautyberries

More of the Beautyberry grove under ancient live oaks.

That's about it for Halloween here. 
Joining Fertilizer Friday at Tootsie Time Flaunt

6 comments:

  1. Eewww at the possum and the buzzard that wishes to dine on it. Love the dead tree, though, it's a very spooky shape. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a good eye to have caught that buzzard waiting in the tree! I love this wild, natural area. There is beauty all around us if we would just take the time to look. I am glad you did.

    Halloween is non-existent out where we live!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your spooky pictures, Nell Jean. I'm glad you didn't show the later buzzard one! We try to leave as many dead trees/snags as possible because they are home to so many creatures. P.x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all your spooky photos.

    Oh please, don't take down that old weathered tree. Unless it's a danger to you, in some way. Those are irreplaceable works of Art by Nature.

    Hunker down!
    It's Nov. now!
    Tessa~

    ReplyDelete
  5. The oaks, spanish moss & sumac are fantastic...I like the ancient oak the most...

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you so much for linking in this weekend...I always love to find time to visit those who play along with my little party. It doesn't seem that I get around often enough...but I do try when I can! we got a HUGE dump of snow here yesterday and I am hating it already after the first few hours!!! I can't hardly wait for spring to come...It will be so nice to play outside again for a few months!
    Your post today is fun!
    I shared this post on the Tootsie Time facebook page
    I hope you will link in again every week!

    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

    --
    www.tootsietime.com

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers