Sunday, October 13, 2013

October Grass in Meadows

Grasses are seeding out and late fall wildflowers are blooming.

Along the edges, Sumac is turning red.

Grasses in bloom catch late afternoon sun rays.

Little Bluestem and other grasses scattered across a meadow.
There are mowed paths to get up close to the grasses.

My favorite clump of Silk Grass, one of many.
I always look first for this one along the path.

I love to visit the meadows when the sun is low in the west and
long shadows stretch across.

I still don't know the names of all the meadow grasses.

Muhlenbergia capillaris 

 The only grasses other than lawn grasses in the garden around the house are Cymbopogon Lemon Grass, Gulf Muhly and Vetiver Grass, all well behaved and not prolific reseeders here. I am still not ready for grasses to totally invade my gardens.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, the meadow of grasses is so lovely with the light shining across. I am terrified of introducing grasses into my garden. I have had a few annual ones that I watched carefully, all planted in pots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so tough to show the beauty of the meadow grasses. I love them for the garden, but it is challenging to get a customer to fall in love with the weedy little things they look like in pots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh sigh... How beautiful...

    Having just popped in here, I know I will continue to return.

    Good morning,
    Tessa~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the grasses and mine are just a bit behind yours. Because of drought conditions that have greatly improved over the last 3 weeks. I love fall !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful pictures. Those grasses are really beautiful. I'm eager to add more to my own garden. Maybe 2014 will be the year for that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely photos of the grasses. Makes me want to walk there on the path you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers