Monday, October 7, 2013

Salvias Signal Fall Is Here

Good old Mealycup Sage goes right on blooming. Joining now that fall is here are Pineapple Sage and Salvia Leucantha, two of my favorites.

Salvia elegans smells good when crushed, like pineapple. The red blooms are an edible garnish for salads.
I still haven't taken cuttings.

This is the more frequently seen Salvia leucantha.
The blossoms are white; purple bracts.

This is the one I have most of: both the bracts and 
the blossoms are purple. 

Duranta is still blooming, more fall purple.

Pentas go right on blooming, Giant Swallowtails are still visiting.
My other friend Janie, Nurse Janie, let me know on Facebook that there are Monarch caterpillars all over her Asclepias. She's about 20 miles north of here. I am so thrilled.

Remnants of the tropical storm brought misty rain, hardly a tenth of an inch.





8 comments:

  1. Lovely fall blooms Jean.

    Enjoy ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love salvias, but I find them very difficult to photo. They add some great color to the fall garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with everyone...what is it about fall that gives you purple and blue colors...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice salvias. And the swallowtail looks very happy! Good to hear that the monarchs caterpillars are doing well. I hope they have a good life's journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm amazed at the colours of your garden.
    They look so much similar to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fall is such a nice time of year. Some flowers seem to just really appreciate the cooler temperatures and the rains that we all usually get.

    Those salvias are some that I don't grow here in my zone 6 gardens so I really enjoy seeing them in yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My pitcher sage that I transplanted failed this year . I`ll go back to where I found them and try again, But the others I have are getting intense again. I love Fall. !

    ReplyDelete
  8. I gave up growing the lovely pineapple sage, it doesn't bloom until it's almost time for frost to take it down. Yours is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers