Thursday, November 21, 2013

Celery Secrets

One of the most popular Pins that I see is the 'grow celery from the bottom part' showing new growth coming from the root end of a stalk of celery.

My celery end after a week or so in the soil. 

I searched every photo I could find. I have yet to find a photo of a fully grown stalk of celery that was grown from the cut-off end. Several comments on blogs where someone showed planting an end and the subsequent early growth indicated that someone had indeed grown celery but I found not one picture with more than a single rib smaller than a pencil a few inches tall. Blogs abound showing the planting steps. I found no blogs showing celery being harvested.

I did find some tips:

One blogger offered that celery is a biennial and that second year growth is for seed formation. Before seeds can form, a plant has to reach eating size, doesn't it? 

A second tip was that homegrown celery tends to be bitter unless blanched. What is blanching? Cover with some paper or burlap or hill up the soil around it until the plant bleaches white or at least as light color as what you buy in the store. Green celery will have intense flavor, a good thing in soups.

Many of the photos and videos that I saw showed starting the growth process in a dish of water. Why? Maybe because seeing growth is encouraging. There are no nutrients in water. 

I did read where a grower said their celery grew best in rainy season. I can see why.

Here is what I believe about celery:

  1. Celery needs rich soil and ample moisture.
  2. It has a long growing season, up to 120 days.
  3. Seeds are usually started and then transplanted because of their size.
  4. Ideal growing conditions are cool weather and partial shade from hot sun.
  5. Blanching makes a sweeter celery -- hilling of soil or covering with something.
  6. Whether a new stalk of size can be grown from an end remains to be seen.
I covered the stalk end that I started this bunch from.

I would like to hear from anyone whose celery experiment went farther than greenery and short stems. Meanwhile I will grow mine on as far as it will go


Linking to Tootsie's Fertlizer Friday



5 comments:

  1. As long as its alive and growing.
    I think it should be fine.
    But like what you said. I hadn't found anyone had manage to harvest celery from this sliced form.
    Well - if you were successful then you will be the first person to document it here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mine didn't even grow at all...you are WAY ahead of me!
    thanks for linking in this week...I always love to read your musings.
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny experiment! Perhaps I'll try next year, if I am as lucky as this year and have a warm and long autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried it last year. It grew a few leaves and then withered away. I never fooled with it again. I am VERY successful, however, at growing green onions from the grocery store -- using only the green tops of the onions and planting the bulb with teeny tiny roots still attached.

    ReplyDelete
  5. End of the story: I read that celery needed lots of water and I gave it that, so much that it rotted. Another lesson learned. I may start from seeds in the Spring, or not at all.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers