Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Tiptoe Around the Tulips, please

They're in! 150 tulips, 100 muscari and a bag of 50 daffodils less 2 or 3 that were mushy or dried up.

There's no picture of my work. Imagine an area of 18 large holes and a sort of trench across the back where I got tired and dark was coming and the daffodils weren't done. It will be interesting to see how it looks since I deviated from my careful plan.

This is Longfield Gardens' Tulip Photo.
 I'm hoping that my display is somewhat like this. The lighter color tulips are 'Shirley.'

Tulips and Muscari were from Longfield Gardens who has generous contests and gives away nice fat bulbs. The bulbs were chilling in a dedicated refrigerator for the past 12 weeks. The 'due date' was December 31 so I was barely ahead of schedule.

If I hadn't won Tulip bulbs, I've have daffodils only. I might have added some hyacinths instead of putting all of them in pots, which is easier. I made a post in 2011 on Tulips  showing that I have successfully grown Tulips.  There is another Illustraing my tulip-growing confidence  with old photos from my efforts at growing Tulips to prove that I did indeed grow Tulips in the Coasal South. It takes an amount of effort I had all but given up. The hardest part is leaving tulips in a refrigerator for 12 weeks.

I scattered Poppy Seeds over the whole bed and then added a thin layer of pine straw to discourage digging, help hold soil and mark the site. Hopeful that voles leave the bulbs alone since there are daffodils in the bed, that the soil doesn't harbor diseases and the weather blesses us. The soil was damp and cool and we are having rain in the next few days.

Happy New Year.


4 comments:

  1. Dear Jean ~ I look forward to seeing this lovely bed when in bloom and hope the voles and other critters stay away.

    Have a wonderful 2014 ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have great success with your tulips. I bet the bed will be lovely. Sometimes the deviations turn out to be brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feliz año
    Un magnifico blog.
    Un saludo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy new year and best wishes with the bulbs!

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers