Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Bloom Day Review Six Years in the Making

When Carol mentioned that Bloom Day is in its 7th year, I went back to see my beginnings with Bloom Day.

 January 2008
There were Taiwan Cherries, too. 

January 2009 must have been mild: we had Blooming: vinca; paperwhite narcissus planted outside after 2007 forced bloom; violas and nicotiana; Lantana montevidensis, magnolia 'Leonard Messell' and Eclipse and Knockout roses picked on Tuesday:







There were Violas in 2010 and ice in the birdbath:


There was little to see outside in 2011. 
In the greenhouse in 2011 there were Pentas cuttings blooming.
I wish I had taken Pentas cuttings this year. Sigh.


In 2012 there is no Seedscatterer Bloom Day so I guess there wasn't much in bloom outdoors. 
The greenhouse had lots of pretties, not the least of which were 


Begonias, Persian Shield 2012

Begonias, Pentas and Foxtail fern 2012

2013's Bloom Day in the greenhouse included 
Benfica Hippeastrum

... and Pansies outside.

Last Year's Bloom Day had Blossoms that are toast from a recent freeze this year, like Loropetalum, White Azaleas and Gerbera Daisies. Blooms of 2013 are here.

We are scheduled for another several nights of freezing temperatures. I am glad to have a record showing that cold happens and it isn't every year that we suffer so. My biggest regret this year is not taking Pentas cuttings. I am hopeful that a few decide to return from the roots so I can start over. It isn't too late for Violas, if I find nice ones in a Garden Center.





5 comments:

  1. Bloom Day certainly creates an interesting and useful record. I've never taken cuttings of Pentas but, now that you've put the idea in my head, I'll have to see if I can propagate my 'Appleblossum' variety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very nice Persian Shield.
    Something that I find very rare nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am impressed with your journal being so detailed. The flowers are beautiful and your experience shows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I were more organized with my pictures. I do like seeing records of years according to plants.

    Sorry to hear the cold is hanging on.
    We seem to be having days or cold followed by days of normal or even warm. Not good for plants. I am so glad I mulched my strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you have a few blooms. One never knows this time of year. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers