Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Goodbye, Bottle Tree

When I had to explain the Bottle Tree to a young man who visited here on Sunday, I decided it was time for that particular yard art to go. He loved the Stick House. I had to explain it too, but in a more positive way.

Bottle Tree 2014

Bottle Tree 2009
The post rotted.

When the post rotted in 2012, I made a temporary bottle tree using a rake with a broken handle. 
I stuck the rake handle into a pipe that fit into the hole where the clothesline pole goes, a very
temporary arrangement.

I left my washing in the launderette
You can put some money on it, you can place a little bet
That when I see my washing
The black will be grey and the white will be grey
But the Blues are still Blue
 ---Belle and Sebastian


A more permanent Bottle Tree improvised by
hanging the bottles on the cedar posts that
form a sort of trellis for an unruly 
Red Cascade Rose.


The sun is going down on the Bottle Tree for now.

I can't put bottles on rebar and dot them around the garden since He-who-mows- banned rebar posts after one fell over and got into the mower blades.... He made me some nice wood posts, treated against termites. Posts mark spots I need to remember like where to plug my sprinklers into buried pipes but they are definitely not decorative nor will bottles fit.

The Stick House stays. My visitor wanted to know if I
ever sat out there. I didn't tell him that my garden isn't for
sitting, I find too many chores to jump up and do to just sit.

Goodbye, Bottle Tree.










6 comments:

  1. Ah well, time for it to go. Can you reuse those pretty blue bottles in some other way? Maybe garden edging? Or bury them all the way in the ground so just the bottoms are showing and make a sort of mosaic? If you had a tumbler, you could break them and tumble them smooth to make your own beach glass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Retiring garden art - for a time, if not permanently - seems to me to be a way to keep your garden fresh. I probably need to banish more of my own as, at the moment, the gnome in the garage is sitting a time out all by himself. Your stick house is different - it's a structure and, as I recall, an important part of your life history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never have understood the bottle trees. Even though the bottles are pretty, it doesn't seem like a proper garden thing to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an ancient custom, bottle trees. It makes as much sense to me as having hundreds of dollars in blown glass by Chihuly hanging about the garden.

    Alison, I thought I would toss the green ale bottles I found on the roadside and wash the Arizona Tea bottles to keep and use as bud vases since they're not putting AZ tea in glass any more.

    Kris, thank you for the kind words and for remembering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can always bring the bottle tree back in another form when the creative muse inspires. I think we all grow weary of certain of our yard art creations and put them away for a time or get rid of them completely. Gardening is all about change, no?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps all is not lost.
    Maybe you can try tying them by the neck and hang them on tree branches.

    Maybe..
    What I'm saying is that all is not lost.
    The earlier arrangement appear to be fragile where it can fall and break.
    Maybe this time - fix them permanently that there are no chances of falling or breakage?
    Just my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to comments and questions and lively discussion of gardening and related ideas.



Google+ Followers